Empty Promises: How to Dispose of Them While Becoming an Honorable Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Calling out to everyone who has ever let down and disappointed someone they care about because of empty promises. With a little reevaluation of what we might think to be the most significant things in life, we aspire to becoming reliable and honest. Someone that has strong principles and values, good character, virtue, and integrity.

Every morning my dad would walk me to the bus stop. I would hold his hand and focus on moving my tiny legs fast enough to keep up with him. No matter how hard I tried, I was always a few steps behind. So one day I asked him:

”Daddy, why do you always walk so fast” 

He paused for a second and with resolution he looked at me, tugged my hand a bit and replied;

“Always walk with purpose”

This was the first time it crossed my mind, that perhaps the way you walk could say a lot about you. The statement was profound. I realized that something so insignificant, something so peculiar could, in fact, change my perspective, my thoughts, and begin to shape my values and beliefs. A slightly different perspective could contribute to becoming a person with the values we all attempt to have. 

Walking is a subconscious part of our daily routine. We walk to school, we walk to our car, we walk to work, we walk because it is the simplest form of transportation. But do we ever ask ourselves “how do I walk?” Do we ever walk in a deliberate way, consciously, “walking with purpose”?

I am sure I speak for all girls when I talk about that cute guy who fills your heart with empty promises. The guy who promises to call you or text you or who promises that you will get coffee one day. But we come to find that these promises are just empty words. Like walking, the things we say should be deliberate. Perhaps the new saying should be “ speak with purpose”. To deliberately do something in a certain way means you must give it selective attention and be consciously aware of EXACTLY what you are doing. To think of the purpose. Your goals. To be aware of your personal character. This is an important concept to grasp because it not only creates a new way of thinking, but opens up a new world of ways to acquire the most honorable qualities. 

Going about your daily routine and asking yourself, “am I doing this with purpose?” is KEY. It is not uncommon for people make to make false plans. To say something like “We should hangout sometime” or “ Yeah, I will call you about that tomorrow” When we tell somebody we are going to do something we are also simultaneously telling ourselves we are going to do something. And when we fail to follow through with our promises and constantly announcing empty words, we are also lying to ourselves. 

Here are four steps I have discovered to becoming someone who is both reliable and honest. Someone who has high principles and values, good character, virtue, and integrity.

1. Be Honest With Yourself:

If you know that your schedule will restrict your ability to do something, instead of ending your conversation with empty promises, let the other person know the truth. Whether it is good or bad, the truth is always the way to go. This type of honesty in any relationship sends a signal that you want to build a bridge of trust and allows for the relationship to flourish. 

2. Dispose of Unnecessary Habits:

Deliberately do simple things within your daily routine. Walk like you mean it, talk like you mean it, cry like you mean it, laugh like you mean it. If you start applying purpose to the smaller things in life, soon the bigger endeavors in life will begin to have a clearer meaning as well. Don’t let unnecessary habits dilute your life of purpose.

3. It’s Okay To Say No:

It’s okay to say “no” or “not now.” A thoughtful “no” is often much better than a “yes” if there’s little or no chance of you following through. No one wants to be notorious for making empty promises and saying things they don’t really mean. 

I encourage everyone to walk little faster, shine a little brighter, hold their chin a little higher, and to strive to be honest and trustworthy. Most importantly to dispose of empty promises and to essentially “walk with purpose”.

I like skiing.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor