The Emotional Stages of Christmas Shopping for your SO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The holiday season is a wonderful time of year. Peppermint mochas, oversized sweaters, and Christmas music are finally socially acceptable. Giving a significant other a present and seeing the look of joy on their face brings such a warm feeling that no crackling fireplace can match. The only issue, actually shopping for them. Some people enjoy it. But those people are crazy. Or mind readers. Either way, it’s not that easy for regular people, and often brings with it a whirlwind of emotions.

First, there’s avoidance.

“I don’t need to actually Christmas shop yet because it’s still so far away!” Repeat this every day until the holiday is right around the corner and you’re panicking and wracking your brain for anything your SO has ever said they’ve liked.

Next, regret.

Why don’t I listen better? Why can’t I just read their mind? How can I get them to tell me exactly what they want without them knowing I’m going to get it?

Then wandering aimlessly through stores forever looking.

Either that or finding yourself going down the rabbit hole that is the internet. Anyone else feel like nothing you find will ever be good enough?

Giving up all hope.

There’s nothing out there. No good gifts. Nada. Maybe if I make something myself they can’t hate it….

And finally, salvation.

Somehow, someway, you found the perfect gift. Or maybe something good enough; something more than a gift card, so it counts. Congrats to you, you holiday shopping queen. You survived.

California native transplanted in Utah.I love sushi and hate seafood. I understand I'm strange, let's just accept it and move on.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor