This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Meet Rachel Lindsey. She is 31, she is a lawyer from Texas, and she is our first black Bachelorette.

This is a HUGE moment in Bachelor/Bachelorette history. Not only is the she the first black Bachelorette, but she is the first African American person to be in the lead role of the show. There have been lots of complaints in the past about the lack of diversity on the TV series. Here is a chart that shows minorities that have been on the show and when they were eliminated:

As you can see, some seasons had no minorities at all. It seems like since a racial discrimination lawsuit was brought to the show in 2012 and later dismissed, the producers have been trying to bring more diverse casts to the show. Their latest choice, Rachel Lindsay, will change the show forever. Rachel is is a very motivated, independent, successful woman and is the the PERFECT choice to be the next Bachelorette. 

Rachel seems down to earth and like she appreciates the important things in life. On Nick’s season she was always down for any date that came her way, whether it was exploring down town New Orleans or working on a farm in Wisconsin. She was a favorite from the beginning, earning the first impression rose the first night. Throughout the season as more of her personality came out she became even more loved by Bachelor fans. 

The strangest thing about Rachel being the Bachelorette is the way that the show announced it. They announced Rachel Lindsay as the Bachelorette before she had even been eliminated from the current season! WEIRD, right? There must be some reason behind it, but for right now we’ll just have to go with it?  

It is good that the franchise is making strides to create a more inclusive and diverse show. Let’s see where Rachel’s Bachelorette journey takes her, hopefully it leads to love!

Kim Davison is a recent graduate from the University of Utah that double majored in Theatre and Communications. She was the President of Her Campus Utah and a Chapter Advisor, a Campus Expansion Assistant and a Her Campus Ambassador Advisor for Her Campus Nationals. Kim loves theatre, event planning, dachshunds and strives to live her life every day to make Leslie Knope proud. She is currently searching to jobs in the media industry and is excited to see where life takes her!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor