This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Thanksgiving was founded around the 3 F’s; Family, Food, and Football, not necessarily in that order, either.

So with Black Friday sales starting on Thanksgiving for the past couple of years, there’s no need for a Black FRIDAY, if it’s on Thursday… right?

Well, I want to let all of you early bird shoppers in on a little secret.

You’re ruining my Thanksgiving.

That’s right. You going out and shopping at 4 am with your BFF just to get that $359 TV is making me hate a holiday that is all about being thankful and joyful.

While you may not know it, there are millions of families all over the country that are forced to have a Thanksgiving breakfast or lunch – all because there are family members that work in retail.

I personally have worked in retail, and there are two things that I have learned to appreciate from working retail on Black Friday. 1) When stores actually open on Friday. And 2) When stores aren’t open on Thanksgiving/Black Friday at all.

There are more than just sales that go into this business.

I have had a Thanksgiving Brunch for the last 4 years because my parents are expected to work on Thursday night so you can get those Xbox’s and Play Stations at a $50 difference.

While you’re waiting in line for the Fitbit, I’m at home with whatever family member hasn’t left for work by 6 pm.

There are families like mine all over the country that should be with their families on such holidays, but the amount of greed that runs this country, not only ruins our bank accounts, but our quality time with our family.

I get that you want to go out and shop, I have personally done it too. But you know where I go? I go to the same store that my parents are working at, to see them while they work and maybe get a few fuzzy socks that are calling my attention, but I go to see my mom longer than the few hours I got to be with her at home, or I bring her food because there wasn’t enough time to eat, sleep, shower and get ready in the amount of time that she is supposed to be there.

The problem really isn’t the people shopping, it’s the companies that are open on Thanksgiving. There are so many stores that open at 5 am on Friday, like they should, so that is a lot more reasonable than 6 pm on Thursday.

I suggest that you stay in with your family and enjoy each other’s company, rather than sit and wait in a long, horrific line. Enjoy what everyone has to say, (except for that one cousin who is always trying to one up you, ignore her. Always.) Look through a few baby albums and talk about the new Anastasia highlight pallet, but don’t go out and be greedy over an entertainment set.

Thanksgiving is about being thankful, and being with your family, but how can you be with your family if they are working on a Holiday, all for people to be completely destructive and crazy all over electronics. No, you don’t need that TV or that iPad. You need to be at home with your family, not camping outside of Target to get a good deal, America has gotten to the point where we value money so much, that we will neglect family over a few hundred dollars in savings.

This is me, a daughter, sister and niece of people that work in retail, that you put off your Black Friday shopping to be with your family. And in case you didn’t know, most retails raise their prices in the ads a few weeks prior to black Friday to make it seem like you’re getting a great deal, but you’re just spending money like that’s the only thing in the world.

Be thankful this Thanksgiving and actually be with your family. The materialistic things will come and go.

Hey there fellow Her Campus readers! My name is Nancy Gomez, I'm a Junior at the University of Utah. I am from the West Valley City area, and am an Athletic Training major, so you can bet that I love sports, and that's one of my main topics when writing articles. I love to cook, and binge watch Narcos on Netflix! I'm super excited to be writing for Her Campus for the first time and can't wait to see what's next. GO UTES!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor