Best Vegetarian Friendly Lunch Spots on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

We’ve all been there. It’s noon, you have ten minutes to run to your next class and you’re STARVING. Whether you’re testing out meatless Mondays or have been a vegetarian for years, the midday lunch rush can be difficult to handle when you’re stuck on campus. Don’t panic though, the U has delicious and quick meat-free meals available from local eateries with on-campus locations. So stop the afternoon hanger before it starts and grab a bite from these veggie-friendly campus eateries.

Melty Way

Recommended Dish: The Italian (above) or The Artichoke and Tomato Did someone say cheese? Melty Way has plenty and is perfect for those chilly fall days where you want to throw on your favorite sweater and treat yourself to some melty goodness. It’s also a great option for when you just want to eat your feelings in the form of delicious hot cheese… It’s okay, we’ve all been there. You really can’t go wrong with anything on the menu, but be sure to give the Italian or the Artichoke and Tomato grilled cheeses a try.

Caputo’s

Recommended Dish: Fior Di Latte Sandwich or the Greek Salad (above) If you’ve got a bit more time and would like to eat indoors on those colder winter days, look no further than Caputo’s located in the Carolyn Tanner Irish Humanities Building. This smaller footprint store transports a little bit of Caputo’s Market to campus and offers a variety of delicious sandwiches, salads and desserts all of which include great vegetarian options. Standout vegetarian dishes include the Fior Di Latte sandwich and the classic Vancouver Green Salad both of which showcase the quality ingredients Caputo’s is known through the valley for.

The Bento Truck  

Recommended Dish: The Classic Veggie Bowl Looking for a quick option to grab on your way to class? Head to Library Plaza and look for the bright red Bento Truck. The Bento Truck is a campus classic that serves Japanese comfort food right in the heart of campus. For a classic vegetarian-friendly meal, order the veggie bowl which includes ridiculously good deep fried tofu with stir-fried vegetables over rice. The customer service is excellent and you’ll be served a smile from the owners with every dish. Don’t forget the Sriracha from the toppings table for an extra kick before you run to class!

So there you have it! Three local and delicious on-campus dining options that serve veggie-friendly dishes. Give the places above a try the next time you forget your lunch or need to treat yourself. You’ll be supporting local businesses while still sticking to your meat-free lifestyle!

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3

Cierra is a junior at the University of Utah studying Business and working part-time in tech. She loves to travel, eat, and explore.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor