This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Around the holidays, experimentation in the kitchen can be a frightening ordeal. Fancy recipes can be ruined almost instantaneously, leaving many discouraged about their cooking skills. Luckily for you, I have the simplest pumpkin pie recipe to ever exist. Not only is it incredibly easy, but it’s absolutely delicious. I made this pie for my family’s Thanksgiving and it was an absolute knockout! It did even better than the regular pumpkin pie (sorry, grandpa). You would have no idea this recipe was vegan if you didn’t know otherwise. Even the coconut whipped cream is superior to normal whipped cream, providing you with an intense sweetness. The textures and the flavors all remain the same, except no animals were harmed in the making of this pie. This holiday season, make your cooking cruelty free and delicious by following this super simple recipe!

Vegan Pumpkin Pie: 

Ingredients for the pie:

• One 15 ounce can pureed pumpkin
  • ¾ cup coconut milk (full fat) 
  • ¾ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup cornstarch
  • ¼ cup maple syrup, 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 vegan premade pie crust.

Ingredients for the whipped cream:

• 1 can coconut milk (full fat)
  • ¾ cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract.

Instructions for baking the pie: First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Then, pour all the ingredients in the blender and pulse them until they are smooth. Pour the mixture into the pie crust and smooth it out with a spoon. Bake the pie for an hour and then put it in the fridge (preferably for at least four hours) to allow it to set and cool.

Instructions for whipping cream: Put the can of coconut milk in the fridge (preferably overnight) to allow the liquid and fat to separate. Pour the fat from the coconut milk into a bowl and mix with the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Mix until fluffy. Make sure that you are making the whipping cream right before serving the pie, as leaving it in the fridge could potentially change the texture.

Once the whipping cream is finished, pour it on to the top of the pie, slice, and serve! Not only is this a super simple recipe, but it is absolutely delicious! Pies are such a staple food around the holidays and you will definintely impress your friends with this tasty one. Happy holidays and enjoy!

Image Credit: 1

..

Sophomore at the University of Utah studying Strategic Communications
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor