This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Studying is a hard thing to do in general; when you can’t concentrate, it just becomes a frustrating couple of hours. Personally, I am not a fan of the library when it comes to getting ready for a test. The constant movement and talking can make it hard to focus, especially if you have to share your study space. Because of this, I decided to find a new study spot; here are a few great places on or near campus where you are able to concentrate and study without any interruptions!

On Campus 

• Humanities Building 215 S Central Campus Dr

The Humanities Building has to be one of the best spots on campus to study and get homework done. The main floor is fully equipped with couches, benches, and tables to choose from. The only time it may get loud is after a class is over and students are walking out, but other than that, the environment is super relaxed and Caputo’s Deli has a wide selection of sandwiches and salads to choose from if you ever get hungry mid study sesh. 

• Lassonde Studios 1701 Student Life Way 

Also a great study spot, Lassonde Studios is a little noisier than the Humanities Building, but not at a level that will interrupt or stop you from studying. The booths are my personal favorite spot; they are great to do homework in, giving you the space and room to bring all the books and materials you may need. 

• CRCC Building 1637 Campus Center Dr

This building is hands down one of the best spots to get work done. There are so many places to choose from when studying here. My favorite aspects of the building have to the open space and availability of tables, making it easy to set all of your things down. There are outlets everywhere and also an outdoor patio if you want to study outside instead.

Off Campus 

• Sugarhouse Coffee 2011 1100 E

This coffee shop may not be the quietest, but it has a great atmosphere and is super welcoming. From the couches in the corner to the high stool tables facing the windows, there are so many spots to choose from. They also have the best drinks and food, like their chai lattes and acai bowls. This place stays open until midnight except on Sundays (when it closes at 11 pm), which is rare here in Utah. 

• Salt Lake Roasting Co. 820 E 400 S & 210 E. 400 S.

Salt Lake Roasting Co. should be another top place on your list if you’re avoiding the library. What’s great about this place is that it’s way comfortable and studying is so easy here. The service is so good and the upstairs part of the shop is probably the best place to be when preparing for a test. Both locations are great, but I recommend the downtown location (820 E. 400 S.) just because it’s open later than the library location.

• Nostalgia  248 E 100 S

Last but not least, Nostalgia Coffee is literally one of my favorite coffee places ever. From crêpes to smoothies, everything on the menu is great. It may be smaller than the other study spots, but once you walk in, you won’t want to leave. Nostalgia has a super chill vibe that makes studying easier, if that’s even possible. 

If you’re like me and are tired of going to the library and getting nothing done, please try studying at one of these places and see how it goes! Your surroundings definitely matter when it comes to where you prepare for a test or do homework. And you never know, changing study locations could be the answer to a frustrating low grade, writer’s block, or even productivity. It doesn’t hurt to try! 

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

President of Her Campus Utah and Senior at the University of Utah.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor