The Best Crystals for Your Zodiac Sign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

If you frequent social media you’ve probably seen astrology content like. . . everywhere. I remember making my Scorpio board on Pinterest way back in 2012. So the Zodiac chart isn’t new to me, but I’ve been surprised at the in-depth and creative ways people are exploring their signs and identifying with the various traits they imply. 

One way to connect with different aspects of yourself is through the physical properties, energies, and meanings that healing stones and crystals carry. 

Crystals can be understood better when classified with the natural element associations (air, earth, fire, water) or the general properties they possess (grounding, intuition, healing, etc.). Knowing this helped me when I started collecting and categorizing my stones to learn their uses. 

You can find your full astrological chart on websites like Cafe Astrology, Co-Star, and Just Astrology Things

I gathered and compiled information about stones and crystals from shops like Dancing Crane Imports and Turiya’s in Salt Lake City as well as a bunch of online resources including The Healing Chest and Crystal Reiki Healer on Instagram. Below are crystal recommendations based on the various signs’ general qualities and attributes.

Aquarius

Aquarius placements thrive under the air element but are often more in tune with the emotional side than their Gemini or Libra counterparts. Some heavy feelings and thoughts can be overwhelming at times. Serene water element stones like Aquamarine and Larimar soften and smooth stress while smoldering Amber and grounding Hematite balance everything out. 

Pisces

Pisces carry strong emotional, feminine, and creative energy connected to the fluidity of water. As one of the most intuitive signs, crystals like Opalite, Lapis Lazuli, and Blue Lace Agate help amplify those qualities. Amethyst, Spirit Quartz, and various colors of Fluorite bring clarity and calm if things feel muddled. 

Aries

Aries embody the fire that their sign is associated with. The excited, energetic, and sometimes unpredictable nature of Aries placements can be a positive thing, but when unchecked that fire gets out of hand. Calming Howlite, protective Bloodstone, and grounding Hematite and Obsidian work wonders. Fire Agate, Citrine, and Carnelian will amplify the natural qualities Aries possess.  

Taurus

Taurus placements are strong in both thoughts and actions, but occasionally the heart needs extra attention to feel truly balanced. Rose Quartz, Jade, and Green Aventurine amplify the heart. Red Jasper is also great for Taurus energy, bringing protection and vibrancy to any situation. Opalite and Angel Aura Quartz can aid the mind with intuition, and lighten the mood when needed. 

Gemini

Geminis carry air and wind energy, meaning thoughts come and go, and new or exciting people or things bring feelings of purpose and happiness. Being lost in thought or daydreams is nice, but being grounded to earth is important to make the most of that creativity. Smoky Quartz, Howlite, and Hematite are grounding. Celestite and Turquoise can be tools to connect with the mind. 

Cancer

Grounding stones are great for Cancers who embody the water element with emotions that flow and change freely. While being so emotionally-connected is often a great quality, it can be overwhelming and even scary for Cancer placements to come out of their shell. Lava stone, Shungite, Chalcedony, and Rose Quartz can bring out the best of these traits and give a protective barrier.

Leo

Leos bring out the confidence and fire in themselves and others. Getting things done and moving up in the world—whether that’s personal, social, or business-driven—is a high priority. Connecting and utilizing that intensity can be enhanced with Citrine, Carnelian, Peridot, and Sunstone. But balance is needed in everything to truly succeed, so Larimar, Blue Lace Agate, and Clear Quartz smooth over any out of hand flames.

Virgo

Keeping the stability of the Earth element in mind, Virgos like to be grounded, but a little movement and flow of energy can be great to make the most of a strong core. Amethyst, Hematite, and Snowflake Obsidian offer the anchored feelings Virgo placements thrive in. Moss Agate, Teal Calcite, and Fluorite help with embracing change and newness, dissolving the apprehension that might accompany it.

Libra

The scales of Libra are always changing, and always trying to find a balance. Being an air sign, Libras like deep thinking, conversing with others and creating new experiences for themselves. Iolite, Sodalite, and Tiger Eye are great for enhancing the balance that Libras often desire. Aventurine, Sunstone, and Chrysoprase can instill positivity and new learning.

Scorpio

Known for their intensity, deep feelings, and often intimidating aura, Scorpio placements do well connecting with the water-based essence of their sign. The mystery revolving around Scorpio is a tool that can promote inner reflection. Protective and powerful Obsidian, Bloodstone, and Tourmalinated Quartz can provide depth while enlightening crystals like Angel Phantom Quartz, Citrine, Kyanite, and Moonstone offer energy, psychic growth, and peace. 

Sagittarius

The sign of fun times, traveling, and overall action, Sagittarius is represented by the element of fire. Grounding stones like Hematite, Smoky Quartz, and Jade will help Sagittarius placements stay down to earth. Crystals like Blue Lace Agate, Lapis Lazuli, and Labradorite are good to balance the fire to reach this sign’s full potential. 

Capricorn

Capricorns are known for more or less having their life together. The third Earth sign makes Capricorn placements stable, hardworking, and realistic. That being said, grounding crystals are still a good idea, because sometimes Capricorns can stretch themselves thin. Smoky Quartz and Onyx are both protecting and grounding while Crazy Lace Agate, Malachite, and Spirit Quartz promote positivity and change. 

These recommendations are from my personal experience, as well as the experiences and information that others have provided. These suggestions are likely to be most effective when related to your sun, moon, and rising placements. 

Crystals and stones are usually best understood and used if you start with a few and build your collection from there. Remember that how you meditate and focus your practices is completely up to you! As long as no harm comes to yourself or others, the sky’s the limit.

All media is sourced via hyperlinks in the article.

Hi I'm Britt, I'm 23 and graduating after the Fall 2020 semester with a Bachelor of Arts in Strategic Communications and two minors in Spanish and Creative Writing.  I love to dive into topics under beauty, fashion, music, art, and culture. I enjoy going a little deeper and finding information that I think readers will learn from or want to learn more about.   A couple of my favorite things are shopping (especially local!), writing, and watching movies with tons of popcorn.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor