A Barista’s Drink Guide for Every Mood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

It’s so common for college students to get in their daily routine.  I mean, how can you blame us?  We have the same classes, in the same buildings, with the same professors week after week. This routine holds true not just for classes and daily to-do’s but for what we eat for lunch, what our daily snack is, and yes, what we order as our pick me up at your fav coffee shop.  I get it, it’s hard to branch out and then if you are tempted, there’s always the fear that you won’t like the $5 new and different drink as much as you like your usual.  This is where I come in though, your local barista, here to help you try new drinks, for every mood you might encounter.

“How am I going to get through this week it’s only Monday morning”- for this all too common mood, I would recommend trying a Vanilla Cappuccino.  It tends to be one of the strongest drinks you can order which means you will have plenty of energy to push through your first tough day of the week.  The vanilla sweetens the deal though, but giving you that little taste bud pick me up to make you smile and take a deep breathe just long enough hat you realize your late to the next thing.

“It’s 2 o clock and my day isn’t even half way over” ­–it’s crunch time and you need something that is going to give you a burst of energy, but fast.  This calls for a shot in the dark (or a double shot in the dark if you are really feeling it).  A shot in the dark is one shot of espresso in a cup of coffee.  Usually a tall will do just right which is perfect because you can quickly sip it back and throw it out all in time for your next class or meeting.  It’s also super easy to make so your barista should have you in and out in no time.

“I have thirty minutes to kill “ – one of the rare times in a collegiette’s week but it does happen, you have thirty minutes to kill between class and you want something tasty.  For this, I would recommend checking out the coffee shop’s signature lattes.  Anything with caramel is usually top-notch. 

“I want something good to drink, but I can’t be up all night” – for this mood, I would strongly recommend trying my new fav drink, the London Fog.  It is English tea, with vanilla flavoring and some half and half.  Super tasty with a little caffeine, but it doesn’t have the espresso shots that will keep you tossing and turning at night. 

“The all-nighter is upon us”– we all know that one or two of these a semester is likely to occur and when that happens, you need all the help you can get.  In order to keep motivated throughout the night, I would recommend a dirty chai with as many shots of espresso as you feel necessary.  This is still a tea and provides some kind of a calming presence but has that kick with the espresso shots. 

With all these new drinks to try, you have to be excited for another week of school!  Keep working hard, collegiettes! 

Hi! I'm Madison Keyser and am a student at the University of Utah.  I am a sophomore double majoring in Economics and Spanish hoping to go to Law School someday.  I am an Alpha Chi Omega, love to play lacrosse and do anything outside.  I am so excited to be a Her Campus writer! 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor