Are You in College or are You in Wonderland?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Upon falling asleep in class, you find yourself falling down a deep, dark hole and landing in a place where food feels the need to be bossy and puppies are bigger than your car. No, you’re not in Wonderland. You’re in College.

I connect with this GIF on too many levels.

Your day-to-day life is strikingly similar to Miss Alice, though.

The summer before your first semester is spent daydreaming about what is to come—cute college boys, fun parties, sorority recruitment and maybe, just maybe, a little part of you is excited for class, too. You’re living in your own Wonderland.

Only sunshine and daisies ahead, right?

As a freshman, and sometimes as an upperclassman, too you find yourself exhausted and lost most of the time. You’re looking for the Theatre building for your Acting for Non-Majors class and instead find yourself surrounded by engineering Brainiac’s who seem just as confused to see you there. Just like Alice, you have to stop and admit that you’re lost.

^Same.

You realize that somehow, some days you get almost too much done in your day and don’t really know how you did it. Other days, nothing seems to happen at all. You realize that time is simply not a thing in the university world.

What is time?? *Creepy wizard voice*

If you’re not always late, you know someone who is.

Unfortunately for me, I find myself saying “Oh my fur and whiskers, I’m late!” far too often.

You meet such a diverse amount of people who all have different ideas and thoughts. Getting in “deep” philosophical debates starts becoming second nature.

Ok, we get it, dude in the beanie. The universe is vast and the stars tell us more than our hearts and blah blah blah, can you please just point me the correct way to class?

You make bad decisions. Maybe not bad enough to get you beheaded by the Queen of Hearts, but bad enough to make you regret it.

Been there.

Sometimes you are a complete hypocrite. How many more times do the words “DON’T YOU DARE START SKIPPING CLASS THIS SEMESTER” need to enter your head before you actually follow them?

I feel ya’, girl.

Again, what’s with all of these strange people? Like part of you thinks they’re awesome. The other part of you is literally afraid. Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dum are harmless yet annoying. The Mad Hatter is that crazy professor who you love to learn from but would never hang out with. You kind of like the flowers who are so pretty and welcoming until wait they totally turn on you.

^We all know that guy.

Gaining the Freshman Fifteen is bound to happen simply because,

Don’t trip; you’ll continue to lose and gain as your bank account does.

Somehow, the once colorful wonderland has become a colorful blur of old faces and messy notes. This is with or without your pal, Vodka.

I’d be more confused if animals started talking and playing cards painted roses but this whole college thing is a close second to that.

When you look back at your college days, you’ll feel levels of relief fill your body along with slight confusion – “How on earth did I live through that?” – but all in all, you’re proud of your experiences and happy to share the crazy stories of being a young adult in college.

Don't make this ginger snap... just kidding. I'm usually pretty nice. I am a happy-go-lucky, Avril Lavigne lovin' and poodle obsessed San Diego girl. I think I'v been handling the cold weather pretty well! Communication is my degree of choice, although maybe someday I'll be a world reknown astrologer... One last thing: I'm pretty sarcastic. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor