Are These Grotesque Halloween Treats Going Too Far?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

I love Halloween just as much as the next gal, but when getting into the Halloween spirit, how far is too far? Many like to push the limits with extravagant costumes, spine-chilling decor, horrifying haunted houses, and even twisted, grotesque holiday treats. Check out this compiled list of the grossest, creepiest snacks and see if any of these cross the line of festive or foul.

Brain Jell-O Shots

Composed of gelatin, jam, and red food coloring, these jell-o shots are enough to satisfy the taste of your undead partygoers.

Jell-O Worms

Bowl of worms anyone? This creepy, crawly snack is made of gelatin, whipping cream, and green food coloring to ensure a realistic, gag-worthy look.

Severed Finger Sausages

This recipe is too realistic for the few ingredients it requires. This twisted treat only needs ketchup, hot dogs, and onion to give the illusion of creepy, severed fingers.

Puking Guacamole Pumpkin

One of my personal favorites, this treat only requires guacamole, chips, a pumpkin, and some artistic carving skills. Create this recipe to get your party guests laughing, or gaging, at this poor, nauseated Jack-O-Lantern.

Maggot Cupcakes

To create the look of flesh-eating maggots, you’ll need White Marzipan and an array of food coloring. Roll out the Marzipan into very thin, long sausages. Then, cut up the sausage as long as you’d like your maggots to be. And finally, use food coloring to add detail and grossness to your masterpiece.

Bloody Intestines

This stomach-churning recipe is actually more delicious than it looks. Consisting of pink dough, cherry filling, and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar, this recipe is surely one of those cases where you shouldn’t judge a book by its’ cover.

Fungus Toe Nail Cookies

Last, but certainly not least, is this culinary gem. This specific recipe was actually made by Nevie Pie Cakes, a bakery of specialist cake-makers who create handmade and hand-painted delights. If you have the patience, tools, and stomach to recreate these cookies, you’ll definitely leave quite the impression of your party guests.

Perhaps these treats are all in good fun, or perhaps they are extremely gross and cross one too many boundaries. Nonetheless, the creativity that goes into cultivating these creepy treats is definitely something impressive. Especially those recipes that look suspiciously all too real…Whether you love or hate these treats, they truly set the tone for a fun and spooky Halloween.

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor