The Animal Crossing App is Here and It ROCKS!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Nintendo changed our lives yesterday with the release of Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp, a free mobile version of their beloved series. If you’re like me and have played Animal Crossing since it was first released for the Gamecube in the early 2000s, you’re probably super stoked that the game that shaped your childhood is now free on your phone. We’ve been anticipating the release of this app for over a year – it was scheduled to release in 2016. After Nintendo’s 2016 promise fell through, fans were thrilled to find out Pocket Camp had an official release date. For a while, all we knew was that the app would release in the US in late November. Last week, it was announced that it would be released on Wednesday, the 22nd. Clearly, the release wasn’t exciting enough for Nintendo, because they dropped the app one day early. I downloaded the app as soon as I heard it was out, and it’s safe to say it exceeded my expectations.

Pocket Camp works a little differently than previous Animal Crossing games. Your character is in charge of their own campsite. You can do favors for your animal friends and get supplies in return. You can then use those supplies to craft furniture for your campsite; Certain furniture is required to invite particular animals to your campsite. You can interact with the animals to level up your friendships with them. Pocket Camp still has the same charm as all the original games – the animals have cute catchphrases and you can fish and catch bugs with ease. I’ve played every single Animal Crossing game ever released, and I can confirm that the app gives you the fun experience you can get from any of the games that actually cost money.

If you’re looking for the cutest and most fun way to waste time on your break, Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp is the app to download.

I'm a sophomore at the University of Utah majoring in Communications with a minor in Gender Studies. When I'm not studying or sleeping, I enjoy figure skating and listening to podcasts with my cat. 
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor