Alcohol & Women: What Your Body Wants You to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The college years are known for many things: making friends, life experiences, valuable education, and parties. No one parties harder than college students, according to the American Psychological Association, they drink more than any other age or demographic group. Social drinking is often harmless, however, there can be long-term harm done to the body, not noticeable until later in life. It is also important to know that alcohol does not affect men and women the same. Educating yourself about safe and healthy alcohol consumption habits is crucial for preventing problems in the future. Here are the facts:

Alcohol Leads to Cardiovascular Disease

Alcohol raises triglycerides (bad fats), and blood pressure, meaning binge drinking can lead to heart failure. Cardiovascular disease is more prevalent among women, so ladies, it is important to be aware of your intake over time. Small daily choices can lead to significant long-term health consequences.

Alcohol Affects Fertility

While we know that alcohol should be completely avoided during pregnancy, it’s less common knowledge that alcohol affects fertility overall. Studies show that as few as 1-5 drinks per week can keep your body from conceiving, even if you are undergoing IVF. We all know of someone who has struggled with getting pregnant, tell your friends/family how important it is to abstain from alcohol during this time. If you are trying to have a child, alcohol should be avoided altogether.

Alcohol Causes Weight Gain

Alcohol is high in calories that come from carbohydrates, leading to quick weight gain. The “Freshman 15” is no myth, and weight gain—especially fat around the belly—can lead to obesity and heart problems. Besides that, it’s no fun to see the effects of your partying in the mirror. Instead of your favorite sugary cocktail, try a gin & tonic with lime, low in calories and just as tasty! To find out the calories of your favorite drinks visit drinkaware.co.uk.

Alcohol Harms your Skin

Alcohol is known for dehydrating your organs, including your skin. Dehydration can lead to wrinkles even at an early age, as well as liver spots and Rosacea—a condition that leaves your skin red and mottled looking. Take care of your skin, you have to live in it for the rest of your life! Before and after a night of drinking, make sure to drink plenty of water and electrolytes. A good source for this is Gatorade or coconut water.

Women are More Likely to get Alcohol Poisoning

Women on average weigh less than men. Because alcohol distributes throughout the water in your body, if you have less water, you have less room for your body to process alcohol. This leads to our organs—liver and brain most importantly—being exposed to higher alcohol concentration through our blood. Higher exposure means you are more likely to overdose on alcohol than a man–it’s not fair, but it’s true. When drinking put your safety first, don’t drink alone and be mindful of how much you are putting into your body.

Mallory has her B.S. in Clinical Psychology from the University of Utah, and is currently completing medical school pre-requisites. Her love for fitness started with her first dance class at the age of 3, and has taken her on a journey through various sports and activities. Now a competitive amateur boxer & Muay Thai fighter, Mallory loves to push her own limits and inspire others to do the same.