Advice for Freshmen from a Final-Semester Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Before I started college, I read a blog post where a recent graduate remarked that she had grown more during the four years that made up her college career than she had at any other point in her life. As a soon-to-be-graduated senior, I can definitely say the same. College has tested me and taught me more than I have ever learned in any other four-year period of my twenty-something life. As I embark on my final semester, read on for the advice I would give someone starting their first semester today. 

Relationships Will Change You 

Despite what this article from Man Repeller argues, relationships (not just romantic) can and will change you. I see pieces of the people I have met these past four years in everything from my favorite catchphrases to the way that I argue. Whether you started cooking like your roommate or you joke around like your girlfriend, the relationships you have in college are bound to be deeply impactful. 

It’s Important To Do The Things That Scare You 

This is cliche advice, but boy does it hold true. I wanted to join a sorority throughout my first two years of college but didn’t work up the courage to join until the fall of my junior year — and it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Whether you want to spend a semester abroad or you’re dying to change your major, make sure you make the changes that are best for you — even if you’re scared. 

Only Pick A Couple Extracurriculars That First Semester…

Freshman year brings enough life changes on its own before you add in six different extracurriculars. If you’ve already joined a sorority and started volunteering with the Bennion Center, maybe this isn’t the best semester for you to start an internship. Similarly, if you’ve already started an internship and picked up a writing position with the school paper, now is probably not the time to join a service club.

…And Stick With Them! 

Hopefully this is a no-brainer, but it’s probably not the best idea to join new clubs every year and quit the old ones. Find activities you really enjoy during your first years of college and focus on those few organizations, and you’ll likely be in leadership in those clubs by the time you’re an upperclassman. The relationships you make in these clubs over four years will be stronger and the leadership experience you gain will be better for your resume. 

Stop Thinking In Black And White

This lesson in particular has been super hard for me to learn. However, it’s important to remember that most things in life aren’t black or white — especially not relationships. I’ve had fights with friends in college that I thought would mean the end of a friendship. Some of them did. But others only led to a deeper understanding of how to be a better friend to the person in question. 

Start Interning Early 

No matter your major, you will almost certainly need at least one or two internships on your resume by the time you get your degree. One of the best things you can do for yourself is to start interning early. A couple internships between your freshman and sophomore years will shape your resume for the more career-crucial internships you’ll be applying for come senior year. 

Implement Your Workout Routine

Hear me out — you are not going to establish an exercise routine your last two years of college. You are likely going to be swamped with upper division courses, internships, and extracuricculars; if you don’t establish healthy habits as an underclassman, you’re certainly not going to develop them as a junior or as a senior. Combat this issue by hitting the gym at least three times a week your first semester — your stress levels will thank you later. 

Begin Investing In A Multi-Purpose Wardrobe 

You’re going to have to dress up for a variety of occasions in college. Start buying clothing now that fits the bill for every event. For example, this pair of Athleta pants is the perfect outfit staple for every event from your business-casual internship to that 15-hour flight you have to take for your study abroad. Similarly, a casual dress can take you everywhere from an in-class presentation to your job at a law firm. 

Communication Is Key

One of my friends in high school —a girl who was really like my big sister— used to say this almost every time we talked. She was so right. Whether you’re trying to navigate a sorority leadership position or you’re fighting with your partner, nothing is ever resovled by being petty or evasive. If you haven’t already, start making direct, honest, and kind communication a priority in your college relationships. 

Do What’s Best For You 

I know too many people who made decisions in college —their school, their major, their career path— based on what someone else wanted them to do. Declaring a business major because that’s what your dad wanted or reluctantly following your sister to her alma mater is only going to lead to unhappines. If you let your parents or you best friend call the shots in high school, use your first semester of college to make a fresh start and do what makes you happy. 

I have learned so much more in college than what was taught in my classes. From improving my communication skills to completing my first internship, I have changed so much over the last few years. As I spend these last few months waiting for commencement, I hope this advice can help students just starting their first semester. Good luck, collegiettes!

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

With a double major in Political Science and Economics, Allyson hopes to become either a lawyer or a professor of political science after she finishes her degree at the U. Her hobbies include shopping for clothing she cannot afford and working out without breaking a sweat. She is an avid lover of podcasts, and always appreciates recommendations.