7 Recipes to Help You Cook More During the New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

It’s officially the middle of January, which means, if you are anything like me, that new year’s resolution that you just made is being threatened by the reality of a new semester of college, or the dreariness of winter. Well, if your resolution was to eat more meals at home rather than eating out, these seven Pinterest recipes will definitely help you get through the mid-January hump!

1. Lentil Quesadillas

This easy and nutritious meal certainly spices up the classic cheesy tortilla, making it healthier and more filling; the perfect combination for a busy college student! If you have a slow cooker, this recipe will keep you within budget and keep you full for the entire week.

2. Lentil Soup

This Martha Stuart recipe is really simple, but delicious. Lentils are cheap, filling, and nutritious, and can be a wonderful addition to the collegiate diet. I particularly love the red wine vinegar (I always add more than the recipe calls for) in this recipe, which gives the soup an extra kick of flavor. Once again, this nutritious meal is quick and will not break the bank.

3. Pumpkin Quinoa Chili

Quinoa is another one of my favorite meal basics. This grain, often called a super-food due to its protein content as well as its trace levels of omega 3s, is a quick and relatively easy cheap meal option. This recipe is one of the cheapest and easiest I have, with the added benefit of being nearly impossible to mess up. Finally, I have discovered that this recipe makes a wonderful freezer meal for when life gets busy.

4. Split Pea Soup

This classic recipe is easily accomplished either on the stove or with the use of a slow-cooker. This recipe can also be made to be vegetarian or not depending on the variety of stock used and the optional addition of meat. This meal is super comforting during the winter, and once again, makes an excellent freezer meal.

5. Caprese Lasagna Rolls

Okay, so this recipe is not overly healthy, but it definitely qualifies as comfort food. This recipe is easier than a classic lasagna and has the additional benefit of not requiring a large baking pan. As with almost every other recipe, the excess rolls that are made by using the recipe can be stored in the freezer for later use.

6. Aloo Chana Masala

This dish is definitely not very authentic, but it is an easy meal that even a college student who is pressed for time can accomplish. As a person who loves both chickpeas and potatoes this recipe is definitely worth making. Although this recipe is very simple, it can be made more interesting based on the amount and variety of spices used; try playing around with the recipe to find your favorite combination.

7. 5-Ingredient Parmesan Garlic Spaghetti

This recipe will definitely not help you accomplish any new year’s resolutions involving healthy or low fat eating, but it is definitely a wonderful treat every once in a while. This recipe has all my favorite things carbs, garlic, and butter and is equal to the ultimate comfort food; although I do recommend adding in some fresh steamed broccoli and frozen peas for a bit of color.

Although cooking may seem like it has to be a lot of work, with simple recipes like these above, cooking can be an easy and (mostly) healthy way to eat. Good luck with your cooking this year, collegiates!

Image Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor