6 Reasons Why You Should Listen to Music in a Different Language

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

2018 is the year the world gets a little bigger. Did you see BTS at the American Music Awards? Heard of K-pop? What about music by Luis Fonsi and Enrique Iglesias? You can almost visit a different country via the internet, so it’s about time that music, no matter the language, received the recognition it deserves. Here are 6 reasons you should jump on the bandwagon and listen to something new!

1. Learn a new language and culture

Look at all the new things you can experience, the food, the style, and the traditions. Also, learning a new language helps you memorize information better! There is so much for you to gain than just a playlist.

2. Open a gateway to new friendships

Imagine this, you meet someone at a café, talk about that foreign band you found on the internet, and you’re Snapchat buddies for life! Now if you ever visit their home country, you have contacts that will help you. Additionally, you have a best friend that you can chat about the new album with, and team up on that bulk international shipping.with, too. 

3. New music genres to add to your playlist

We both know you are bored with the same top 50 on the radio. Listening to music in a different language gives you a lot of other options.

4. Break barriers between cultures and spread globalization

There are a lot of people in this world that are afraid of new things. I challenge you to share more of the world with each other by music. This globe is too separated because of a little thing like language. However, music is a language that everyone can speak, so share away!

5. Appreciate the artist talent and work

You appreciate what the artist puts into their music. The time, the effort, the love for fans, the long nights, the not so ideal contracts.. These artists are human, and they should get more praise for the long nights of preparation we never see.

6. Be the ultimate hipster

That song is going to be popular so you might as well spread the news that you found it first.

Amberly is the ultimate hater of small talk and would rather know what makes you, you. She is a avid fan of Korean pop music, 대한민국 화이팅!! In conjunction, she is in love with the beauty and extravagance of Asia and hopes to move back to South Korea to teach English. On her off days she dreams of finding the solution to international peace and becoming a diplomat. However, for now she stays home taking care of her grumpy lizard named potato. If you have any suggestions you’ll find her at @maidenadventure on any social media platform because she believes that first adventures are always the beginning of the best stories.  
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor