This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Mornings sound great in theory. The air feels fresh, the sky is painted a pastel pink, birds are singing, and there is all this potential for a new and successful day. It sounds magical. That little fantasy, however, is a very stark contradiction to almost every morning I’ve ever experienced. My mornings usually start with me waking up in a panic because I overslept, and then running out the door, forgetting a bunch of stuff that I need for the day. I can’t believe that there are people out in the world that jump out of bed at 7:00 a.m. and do productive stuff like eat a balanced breakfast or something. In fact, I don’t believe it at all. Morning people aren’t real. If anyone ever tells you that they are a morning person, just know that they are lying to make themselves sound cool. 

My bitterness toward mornings aside, I really wish I was a morning person. Your mornings are supposed to set you up for the day, but mine leave me feeling like a hot mess. Although mornings are not and probably never will be my favorite part of the day, I have found ways to make them a little less terrible. So, if you are anything like me, listen up because I’m about to give you some tips to make you feel a lot less like a hot mess. A lukewarm mess, if you will.

1. Drink Water

My life changed when I started drinking water in the mornings. I feel so much more energized and awake in my morning classes now. When I suggest drinking water, I don’t mean chugging water, though. Just make sure that you’re taking a swig of water every couple of minutes throughout your entire morning. I promise you’ll notice a difference.

Jar with lemon
Photo by Pixabay from Pexels

2. Stretch

I’m going to be honest with you, if you’re not stretching on a regular basis you are depriving your muscles from feeling joy. Stretching makes my body feel so good, and it is a great way to feel more energized and awake in the mornings. This doesn’t need to be a complete 20 minute yoga session. Just take a minute to touch your toes, roll your shoulders out, or do whatever you need to do to wake your muscles up. 

silhouette of woman doing yoga pose
Kike Vega

3. Establish a Routine

Having a consistent routine has made all the difference in my mornings. It doesn’t have to be some long, 20 step beauty vlogger routine. It could just be a semi-structured 15 minute routine. If you know what you need to do and that you have enough time to do it, I promise your mornings will feel way less panicked.

Skincare morning routine
Kevin Laminto

4. Have Everything Ready to Go the Night Before

As I have already explained, I don’t leave myself very much time in the mornings. Therefore, if it’s not in my backpack when I wake up, I am likely to forget it. I’m talking important stuff like snacks, water, laptop, earbuds, all of that. Making sure my bag is ready to go the night before makes my life so much easier. Also, If you want to be really extra, pretend like you’re in the fourth grade with a field trip the next day and lay out your outfits. Do whatever helps.

Tamara Bellis
Tamara Bellis / Unsplash

5. Incorporate Positivity

Do something that is going to lift your mood. Don’t play those sad breakup songs that get you all in your feelings. Don’t listen to that world events podcast that makes you feel like the world is collapsing as we speak. Save those for later. Listen to something positive that makes you feel like you can take on the world. Incorporating positivity doesn’t have to be just listening to stuff, though. It could be lighting a good smelling candle, reading an empowering poem, scrolling through pictures that bring happy memories, writing down positive affirmations, or anything that puts you in a good mood. Just do something to start your day off right.

black headphones on a yellow background
Malte Wingen on Unsplash

Well there you have it. There are my five pieces of advice that have made my mornings a little easier. Mornings can be crucial in setting the tone of your day, so make sure you find ways to make them easier for yourself. If you take anything from this, just remember that water is the best thing in the world and that there is no such thing as a true morning person. Now go and take on the world.

I am a Sophomore working towards a BA in Strategic Communications. When I'm not writing, I'm obsessing over fashion, dancing around my apartment, or eating chocolate.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor