This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

We all get down on ourselves sometimes. Here are some things you can do to pick yourself back up.

1. Post one (or more!) sticky notes with some words of encouragement on your bathroom mirror. Repeat these out loud to yourself three times each.

A therapist told me to do this once and I looked at her like she was from Mars…. “Who talks to themselves in the mirror every morning?” I tried it the first time and immediately felt embarrassed. It took going through a few other therapists, who ended up suggesting the same thing, for me to give it a real, genuine, whole-hearted try. Now, every morning when I wake up, I venture in my bathroom and do this little ritual. Telling myself that I am awesome and that I will kick ass every morning makes me feel like I’m my own fierce warrior! (Cue “Diva” by Beyoncé)

2. Write down some of your insecurities on a piece of paper. Rip that paper up and throw it away.

Again, this was something that many mental health professionals told me to do every morning and I honestly laughed in their faces. Until I finally got to the point where I would do anything if someone told me it would make me feel better about myself. When I do this, I really make sure to be sincere when I destroy the paper. I think of it as actually vanquishing all my insecurities—that when those tiny pieces of paper fly into the waste bin, all my self-doubt and worries simply disappear.

3. Un-follow that person on social media who makes you feel like you need to be someone else.

This is self explanatory but still so important! I was scrolling through my Instagram one day and realized that there were a few profiles I followed that made me feel like complete shit. Most were fitness and beauty profiles of “Instagram” famous women. Now, while I support women who openly show their confidence and are proud of the way they look, it just wasn’t healthy for me to see their pictures on a daily basis. I’d always say to myself, “Gosh I wish I looked like that.” Thoughts like these are never helpful, especially if you’re someone who struggles with self-esteem. Un-follow these accounts—out of sight, out of mind.

4. Compliment a stranger.

I can assure you that there is no better feeling than making someone else feel good. Sending out positive energy to others can help you direct that energy inwards for yourself! Little acts like telling the girl sitting next to you in class that her boots are cute or telling your professor that you enjoyed their lecture today can make a huge difference in how you feel. You never know, you might make a new connection in the process too!

5. Forgive yourself for what you couldn’t get done today.

This is probably the most important. I used to get down on myself at the end of the day if I meant to do something and didn’t get to it. I would punish myself by saying how useless, lazy and unmotivated I was—again this is so NOT helpful. Instead of putting yourself down for simply being human, why not try and constructively take an inventory of the things you didn’t do and why you didn’t do them. Maybe you hate doing that one thing or it makes you anxious. Think about why you didn’t do it and how you can be different tomorrow in order to get it done! This will help you to go to bed feeling empowered and ready to take on the next day with spunk and spice!

Ally Askew is pursuing an English degree at the University of Utah. She is an aspiring creative writer in both fiction and non-fiction. Her favorite things to do are skiing with her sister Olivia, snoozing with her bulldog Lily, and drinking coffee while reading a good book.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor