4 Ways Pets Can Help With Self Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

This is the week, school has started and it feels like the weight of the world is on your shoulders. It may feel like the end of the world, but there is someone supporting you even though you don’t know it: your pet. Your scaly, furry, feathery, or spiky pet is always there cheering you on. Yes, it may feel a bit ridiculous to say that, but who is the one that is excited you came home, it’s definitely not your roommate. Life as a university student is one of the most stressful things you will ever experience, and the best way to fight that is to have a big or little companion. During those highs and lows having a pet gives you that extra boost, letting you know that you can do it! There is someone out there loving you and only you, here is how they show it.

First they give unconditional love, they are the ultimate companion, a pet beyond imagine. Pets are affectionate, loving, and dependable. If you feel like you need a friend, then there is no better option than that adoptable someone.

Taking care of a pet motivates you to take better care of yourself. You have a routine and organization because you are taking care of that other little being that needs you. You start a routine of clean, feed, exercise that helps not just your pet but also you. This gives you purpose and motivation which in turn helps improve mental health conditions.

A little bit of exercise can go a long way in improving your mood and feelings. The best nonjudgmental exercise partner is your pet. Going for a walk, or just playing with toys at your house, is a good way to get in some exercise, and take your mind off of worries.

Finally, pets reduce stress. Many people feel the stress of everyday life. Research shows that just the repetition in patting a pet can ease stress and lower your blood pressure. Things like watching a fish swim and a hamster on a wheel reduces stress. Overall it gives you that time to relax and remember to be in the now by practicing mindfulness.

Go home and hug your pet or if you don’t have one think of adopting at places like https://www.utahhumane.org/!

Photo sources: 1, 2, 3

Amberly is the ultimate hater of small talk and would rather know what makes you, you. She is a avid fan of Korean pop music, 대한민국 화이팅!! In conjunction, she is in love with the beauty and extravagance of Asia and hopes to move back to South Korea to teach English. On her off days she dreams of finding the solution to international peace and becoming a diplomat. However, for now she stays home taking care of her grumpy lizard named potato. If you have any suggestions you’ll find her at @maidenadventure on any social media platform because she believes that first adventures are always the beginning of the best stories.  
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor