This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

Traveling is something the majority of us do, whether it is out of necessity or for fun. The internet is full of tips and tricks on how to fit the most in your suitcase, things to make sure you pack, and places you have to visit. However, I wanted to provide you with four essential tips on how to have a great time away from home. Read on for what not to do the next time you leave town for a few days. 

1-Don’t get sick.

First of all, please avoid getting sick at all cost. Being sick in general is not fun. Anyone who has been sick while away from home can attest to how much worse it is. You are either stuck in your hotel missing out on all the fun activities, or you go out and have a miserable time. Some of my tips to avoid getting sick are to use hand sanitizer all the time. Especially if you are riding public transport. Another piece of advice is to get enough sleep and water. Finally, if you start to feel sick or others in your group are getting sick, make sure you are taking some vitamins to help. One that works well for me is Airborne.

2-Don’t go to the grocery store and buy what you would eat at home.

Going to a nearby grocery store and getting food can be an inexpensive way to feed yourself, especially if you have somewhere to store it. The grocery store is also a great place to get snacks for long days of travel. However, if you go to the grocery store to buy your entire trips food supply, you will miss out on the cuisine of the place you are visiting. I’m not saying to go eat at a fancy restaurant for every meal — there are great ways to find less expensive dining experiences such as yelp. 

3-Don’t assume you know how to get back to where you are staying.

Being lost in a place you don’t know is never fun, but many of us don’t find this a problem because we constantly have a way to get back home in our pocket. However, please don’t assume you will have access to your phone all throughout your trip. Your phone could die, or you could end up in a place without service, and if you don’t know your address of the place you are staying, you could be in trouble. If you are bad at remembering the address or it is very long and confusing, a great way to avoid getting suck in a new city is to learn what public transportation spots are closest to your hotel.   

4-Don’t interact exclusively with people you know.

A great part of traveling is experiencing a new culture, but that can be difficult if all you do is stick with people from your group. Every person has their own unique experiences, and it is interesting to learn more about how you are similar and different from others. You don’t have to spend the entire time with someone you don’t know. You could ask someone in passing what they enjoy doing or one of their favorite places to visit in their free time. This is a great way to see places you might have missed out otherwise. 

These are four tips to help you on your travels, but one the most important things to remember is to have fun and enjoy yourself. Have a wonderful time on your trips and hopefully these tips help you!

Pic 1, 2, 3, 4

Hello! I am Sydney and I am a freshman at the University of Utah! Go Utes!
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor