4 Easy Ways to Help Those Impacted by the Syrian Conflict

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

As of March 2017, over 5 million Syrians have fled their war-torn nation, and hundreds of thousands have been killed in the conflict. While it is disturbing and saddening to see videos and pictures of dying children, grieving parents, and decimated cities, the discomfort that we feel pales in comparison to the trauma faced by millions of individuals in Syria. Although it feels like there is nothing we can do to help, options are available for even those who have little money or time to spare:  

1. Get informed. We like to pretend that we know it all, but amidst constant news updates and changing foreign policy decisions, it’s not difficult to get lost. Even international relations scholars and analysts recognize that the details of the Syrian conflict are incredibly complicated and contain several nuances that can be difficult to absorb. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, open a dialogue, and do your own research. Websites like online BBC Newsround can help objectively explain the conflict in a manner that’s (relatively) easy to understand.
  2. Contribute to organizations that help refugees land safely. As the conflict rages on, the Syrian refugee crisis becomes increasingly unmanageable. Norwegian based volunteer group, A Drop in the Ocean, aims to assist Syrian children and their mothers upon their arrival in Europe by “coordinating volunteers and by collecting and distributing necessary equipment.” Since the foundation was created, they’ve coordinated more than 2200 aid workers in Greece. They don’t receive any funding from the state, but you can donate via their website. Other sources such as The International Rescue Committee and The International Red Cross have online donation and volunteer options that allow you to contribute to funds for humanitarian aid projects.
  3. Get involved close to home. Like, really close to home. By visiting http://www.refugees-welcome.net/, you can learn how to support initiatives that match refugees with individuals seeking roommates. Refugees Welcome doesn’t have an active program in the United States yet, but the website has information on how to start a project in your country or contribute to projects around the world.
  4. Sign up to write letters to refugees. CARE’s project, SPECIAL DELIVERY, allows individuals to visit the website http://www.care.org/emergencies/syria-crisis/special-delivery and sign up to pen messages of hope to a Syrian refugee.

When we study The Holocaust or the Rwandan Genocide, we assure ourselves that we would have done something to help, if only we were able to. We’re able to now, and Syria needs us. 

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor