3 College Football Teams With Everything on the Line

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

The College Football Playoff is shaping up to be one hell of a race to the end! With new contenders falling every week and statement wins from schools deserving to fill in the Final Four bracket, you might just forget how to breathe. It’s anyone’s game now!

Tua Tagovailoa, the Alabama star QB, season is over and possibly Alabama’s title chances, giving even more way for other teams to move in, especially Utah, Oregon and Oklahoma.

#9 Oklahoma Sooners

Oklahoma Sooners only loss was probably the absolute worst one they could have had: an unranked 5-4 record team that had no business scoring 48 points on what was supposed to be a playoff team. However, they still have a chance, albeit a slight one. The Sooners need to run the table and likely get some help from the PAC-12 and SEC. A win in the Big 12 title game, their division, and some shake-ups from the SEC could easily give them a playoff berth.

#6 Oregon Ducks

That help will need to come from the likes of Oregon, a PAC 12 team. The Ducks solid defense and 9 game winning streak bodes well for their playoff chances. They may also be on the outside looking in as a one-loss conference champions depending on the Committee discussions. Although their one loss does hold an advantage, it was a good one — a close game with Auburn back in the opener. 

#7 Utah Utes

Finally, Utah the best University in the world (absolutely no bias here) and their championship worthy defense was a trendy pick to make the playoffs before the season (thanks Lee Corso). The Utes could have been undefeated had it not been for an injury to running back Zack Moss, which led to their loss to USC at the Coliseum. They can certainly make a case for the playoffs as a one-loss conference champ with a win over Oregon. 

With pivotal conference championships containing immense but cloudy implications, the end of this season will be quite a sight to see. One thing is for certain, however: the committee will have their hands full deciding who’s in and who’s out.

Stay classy.
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor