19 Resolutions to Adopt for an Exceptional 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

It might just be me, but 2018 was a bit of a dumpster fire as far as years go, and I am so ready to start my 2019 off on the right foot. For students, the start of the new year typically means the start of a new semester as well. If you’ve been too busy preparing for classes to delve into what resolutions you want to make for 2019, look no further. Ever the procrastinator of my own classwork, I’ve made an exhaustive list of nineteen resolutions that are worthy of being your 2019 goals. Pick one, pick all nineteen, or pick any number in between and get ready to make 2019 your best year yet.  

1. Read one book per month. To help keep yourself on track, follow along with the book club Her Campus Utah is starting! 
  2. Invest in a planner and actually use it. If you’re anything like me, the organization and dainty designs on most planners are alluring. The only thing lacking is the motivation to keep utilizing them, but some of the stress to stay organized during the semester is lessened if you do!  
  3. Make a new friend in each of your classes. Let’s be real, it’s always helpful to have someone to chat about tests and homework with, you might even meet a new bff or two.
  4. Drink more water. This is SUCH stereotypical resolution but it can be helpful if you typically have trouble sticking to your goals. It’s easy to complete and it’ll help you feel more comfortable to start making healthier habits.
  5. Test out a new recipe each month. You can even plan out what you want to make each month for the rest of year! Cooking can be fun or challenging depending on your skill level, but will be rewarding either way.
  6. Save part of your paycheck. How much you decide to save, but put a little bit away each pay period and eventually you’ll have enough saved for future needs!
  7. Go to your professor’s office hours. Even if you don’t have any burning questions to ask, it never hurts to formally introduce yourself and review your class material.
  8. Switch to cruelty free products. Apps like Good On You can tell you whether your skincare products, clothes, makeup, etc. are cruelty free!
  9. Shop at thrift stores instead of clothing chains. Not only is this more sustainable, it’ll also save you some money.
  10. Reconnect with old friends. Whether it’s going out for coffee or sending a quick text, it’s always nice to check in on people that may have drifted out of your life.
  11. Go to bed an hour earlier than you normally do. You feel more rested AND you’ll be better prepared for when daylight savings rolls around.
  12. Go to the gym! Again, another stereotypical resolution but that’s probably for good reason. You can be totally new to fitness and only want to go once a week or a seasoned pro who wants to set some serious goals, either way being active can help you feel and sleep better throughout the semester.
  13. Spread a little goodness and find an organization to volunteer for. There are plenty here on campus, such as the LGBT resource center, Feed U pantry, and many more that are worth your time.
  14. Set aside a specific time for self-care each week. Try taking a breather from your responsibilities to read for an hour or decide a block of time to take care of all the emails and phone calls you’ve been putting off. 
  15. Compliment someone else every day. Sometimes even the smallest actions of kindness can really improve someone else’s day.
  16. Be more empathetic towards others. Putting our impulsive judgments aside and taking a moment to really try and understand where someone else is coming from might just make the world a little kinder.
  17. Try growing a plant. This is a personal challenge for me because I always seem to kill any plant I’m in charge of taking care of, but growing a nice succulent or herb that you can use for cooking is rewarding and will leave you feeling accomplished (if you don’t let it die)!
  18. Visit a National Park. Lucky for us here in Utah, there are plenty to choose from! If you haven’t taken advantage of living in one of the most beautiful states, grab a few friends and take a road trip to Arches, Bryce, Zion, or Canyonlands.
  19. Don’t apologize for the things that make you happy. If you love to draw, sing, take photos, make your own clothes (seriously anything) but have been too afraid to show others or post about it on social media, now is the time to let go of that fear. The things you like to do are a part of what makes you who you are, and that should be freely expressed.

Even though we’re already a few weeks into 2019, it’s never too late to adopt some resolutions in honor of the new year. Let’s make sure 2019 is full of kindness, to both ourselves and those around us. Happy 2019!

Hannah is a Senior at the University of Utah studying Kinesiology and Sports Nutrition. When she isn’t in class or working at one of her jobs, you can find her hiking with her dogs, reading, or fervently adding more pictures to her Pinterest Style board with a chai latte in hand. Find her on Instagram @hannahjanelangley
Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor