15 Feelings You Have Applying For Grad School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Utah chapter.

So you did it! You made it to your senior year, you put in your graduation application, and now you’re just living the dream. That is, until you hear it. That question. The old, “Are you going to grad school?” And, chances are, if you did decide to apply for a master’s program, you’ve had at least some of the following feelings.  

1.      Denial

No you’re not going to grad school. You just got done with four years (maybe more!) of college, and the last thing you want to do is walk back into another classroom. As soon as you take off that cap and gown, you are out of here.

2.      Doubt

…Then again, is a master’s degree really that bad of an idea? So many jobs nowadays want you to have them. And besides, going back to school sounds so much more routine than figuring out your life.

3.      Resignation.

Alright, you’re going to do it. You’re going to apply to grad school. In a few years sounds good, right?

4.      Commitment

You know what; you’re in the zone right now, so you might as well fill out a couple applications. It never hurts to try, after all.

5.      Indecision

Okay, you’re going to go…somewhere. And you’re definitely going to study…something. This is good. You’re off to a good start.

6.      Surprise

Wait, this school looks good! And this program is one that you think you can embrace. Let’s do this!

7.      Panic

Wait…the deadline to your school of choice is when?! Why didn’t you start this application months ago?!

8.      Frustration

You can’t understand why this application expects so many documents from you. I’m sorry, but do you want my Netflix history and the name of my hair dye, too?

9.      Bitterness

Why are none of the professors you asked to write you recommendations responding to you? Don’t they know that you only have three days left before the deadline? Do they not want you to get a higher education?

10.  Defeat

No. You absolutely cannot submit that writing sample—they’d laugh you out the door. Haven’t you written anything as an undergraduate that you actually like?

11.  Inadequacy

Hm. You know, you thought this GRE score was pretty good back when you took the test, but now you’re not so sure. And don’t even get you started on your transcripts. That calc class was hard, okay?

12.  Determination

But you can’t give up. The end is in sight. Just a few more residency forms to go…wait, what’s this? A fee? You have to pay a $50 fee for this application? Why didn’t they mention that up front? Just so they could trick you into spending so much time on the application that you have no choice but to fork over an entire day’s paycheck? This whole thing is rigged.

13.  Numbness

Okay, you did it. You sent it in. It’s over. You applied…how are you supposed to feel right now, again?

14.  Excitement

Look at that! You have an email in your inbox telling you you’ve successfully applied to graduate school. It’s real! This is happening! You’re so excited—not to mention awesome. You had better reward yourself with ice cream. (From McDonalds…since your bank account just took a $50 hit.)

15.  Anticipation

But before you do, you better check to see how long the wait period is. Oh, the website doesn’t say? That’s fine. You wanted to hold your breath every time you opened your email for the next three months. Really.

Her Campus Utah Chapter Contributor