alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Study Up on Fall TV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Between class, work, workouts and spending equal time with your BF and your BFF, it’s tough to find that much needed “me-time” as a coed. Sometimes kicking back on the couch to some shameless television is just the thing. With the fall semester underway, we are finally getting into season premiers for 2013. Here’s a list of the hottest shows to be on the look for this fall. *SPOILER ALERT*

Comedy Night:

How I Met Your Mother-CBS Mondays 8/7c Premier date: September 23

Tensions look high between Sherri Shepherd and Jason Segal in How I Met Your Mother (Photo Credit: CBS)

Last Spring, CBS and How I Met Your Mother left us all shocked with the mother of all reveals! (See what I did there?) Now anyone that doesn’t watch HIMYM (I refuse to believe anyone is missing this weekly masterpiece) can’t begin to grasp what a momentous occasion that was. Last we knew, the weekend of Robin and Barney’s wedding has arrived and the gang is traveling to Farhampton for the ceremony. Robin is having doubts about the wedding and reveals her insecurities to Ted.  Lily had taken a job in Rome and unknown to her, Marshall was just given judgeship; Ted plans to take a job in Chicago because he still has feelings for Robin.

In the final season of HIMYM, creators have promised a party. It is a wedding after all. We should be seeing a lot of guest stars returning like Wayne Brady and Sherri Shepherd has already been shown in promos. The season will all take place over the wedding weekend but will include flashbacks and flash-forwards over a few decades so we really get to know the mother just like we have our other favorite characters. It is rumored that each character will meet the mother before Ted but episode 16 is titled “How Your Mother Met Me,” so we may still have a little bit of a wait for that big moment. 

Super Fun Night-ABC Wednesdays 8/7c Premier date: October 2

Liza Lapira, Lauren Ash and Rebel Wilson share a round of drinks in Super Fun Night (Photo Credit: ABC)

Any show with Rebel Wilson (Bridesmaids, Pitch Perfect) at the helm, I trust we won’t be disappointed. Not only is Wilson the show writer and co-executive producer (along with Conan O’Brien) but she also stars as Kimmie Boubier a junior attorney that has a 13 year tradition with her two best friends Helen-Alice and Markia they call “Friday Night Fun Night.” A night in, wearing pajamas and just being a girl, Kimmie doesn’t adhere to the motto “Always together! Always inside!” when sexy British attorney Richard Lovell invites her to a party. As long as it doesn’t interfere with the return of Fat Amy in Pitch Perfect 2, I fully support Super Fun Night.

Drama-The emotional roller coasters of television:

The Vampire Diaries-CW Thursdays 8/7c Premier date: October 3

The always present sexual tension between Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder in The Vampire Diaries (Photo Credit: CW TV)

Last season we watched Elena and Damon profess their undying love for one another. Since it’s The Vampire Diaries we know the happiness can’t last long right? Every other character was in shambles. Jeremy and his arm porn were back from the dead but Bonnie was freshly off’ed–magic OD style. Elena used the cure to turn Katherine back into a human after an epic she-battle and we learn that Stefan is the doppleganger of Silas, the big-bad of season four. In true bad-guy fashion, Silas forces Stefan into a safe and thrown to the bottom of a lake.

In season 5 of TVD, Elena and Carolina are headed off to college where they come face to face with even more characters that want to kill them and Silas continues to be the big-bad of season five, taking on the entire town of Mystic Falls. At least we can look forward to Jeremy’s arms and a snarky blue-eyed shirtless Damon at some point.

Those who can sing do, those who can’t sit on the couch and judge:

The Voice-NBC Mondays 8/7c Premier date: September 23

The original four judges, alongside Carson Daly reunite for season five of The Voice (Photo Credit: NBC)

Season four ended with Team Blake winning for the 3rd consecutive year with Danielle Bradbery. This season new judges Shakira & Usher will depart to make room for original judges Cee Lo Green and Christina Aguilera. With this pack we know to expect a whole lot of bromance and good-natured insults. Pretty much Cee Lo flirts with contestants, contestants flirt with Adam, Blake flirts with Adam, basically everyone flirts with Adam, and X-tina rocks the platinum locks and lots of cleave. There are some pretty great team advisors this season with the King of Gingers, Ed Sheeran, working with Team X-tina, the iconic Cher for Team Blake, the handsome Ryan Tedder of One Republic for Team Adam and Team Cee Lo will have the help of Miguel (as if that man wasn’t busy enough).

Spinoffs:

Ravenswood-ABC Family Tuesdays 9/8c Premier date: October 22

These five strangers are looking for answers in Ravenswood (Photo Credit: ABC Family)

We were first introduced to Ravenswood when the always up-for-a-life-threatening-adventure Spencer Hastings and her man candy boyfriend Toby Cavanaugh of Pretty Little Liars tried to track down Mrs. Grunwald. When our fearsome foursome return to Ravenswood in the summer finale they come face to face with CeCe, our devious red coat, and learned Ally is alive and has been in hiding. The girls locate A’s lair and we discover the biggest kind of heart break when it appears all along A has been our personified teacher/student fantasy, Ezra Fitz.

What to expect: It looks like Caleb, Hannah’s sexy bad boy-computer hacking boyfriend is leaving Rosewood for Ravenswood. The show will center on five strangers coming together to search the history of Ravenwood and the curse that has plagued the town. If you’ve learned anything from PLL, expect nothing, be suspicious of everyone, and for goodness sakes, just ignore texts from blocked numbers!

The Originals-CW Tuesdays 8/7c Premier date: October 8

It’s an all out vampire war in New Orleans on The Originals (Photo Credit: CW TV)

The Originals are out of Mystic Falls and headed to NOLA. Klaus learned that his little tryst with Haley has led to a little Klaus or a little Haley (take note kids, even werewolves should practice safe sex). Klaus plans to retake his thrown as King of Louisiana from his progeny Marcel. You know that means Klaus is going to start a war and violently kill a bunch of supernatural creatures and possibly humans to take over like the true type A personality he is. You can check out a sneak peek on October 3 after The Vampire Diaries.

What Your Girls are Watching:

Glee-Fox Thursdays 9/8c Premier date: September 26

Glee kicks off this fall with a two-part dedication to The Beatles (Photo Credit: Fox)

We learned of the unfortunate untimely death of Cory Monteith this summer and were heartbroken. As the star of Glee, it’s hard to imagine where the story goes from here but creators alongside co-star and Monteith’s girl friend Lea Michelle have vowed to give Finn a proper farewell in his memory. The premier will come in two parts as a tribute to the Beatles and the much-anticipated Dani (Demi Lovato) will make her debut in the second episode. Episode three, titled The Quarterback, we will learn of the death of Finn Hudson and it will serve as a tribute to Monteith. Production will take a three week hiatus due to FOX broadcasting the MLB playoffs and return November 7.

What Your Guy is Watching:

Sons of Anarchy-FX Tuesdays Premier date: September 10

Charlie Hunnam stars as the dangerously handsome Jax Teller in Sons of Anarchy (Photo Credit: FX)

Last season was a war between Damon Pope’s crew and SAMCRO. All hell was breaking lose in Charming when Jax killed Pope and with the help of Juice and his mother Gemma, framed Clay for the murder. Jax’s wife Tara was arrested for conspiracy to commit murder after being set up my Gemma (busy girl) unbeknown to Jax. This story just continues to get a little crazier each season but the boys seem to love it. This will give you the opportunity to be the “cool girlfriend” all the while getting to know Charlie Hunnam in all his sexy bad boy glory before we see him in Fifty Shades of Grey.<http://www.hercampus.com/school/usfsp/three-reasons-why-charlie-hunnam-perfect-choice-christian-grey

There is so much television in the fall that it’s nearly impossible to keep up but these shows will give you something to talk about while waiting for your classes to start. So kick back with your favorite snack and enjoy some time alone with some mindless television to unwind from a week of group projects, research papers and pop quizzes. 

My name is Jamie and I am a mass communications and media studies major with an emphasis in journalism. I love music and entertainment and hope to go into radio promotions professionally. I am proudly graduating from USFSP in December 2013 and can't wait to begin my career as a Bulls alumna.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.