How to Decorate Your Dorm for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Living in a dorm has its pros and cons. You get to know more people than you would if you lived off-campus, but you can’t decorate your dorm to your complete satisfaction if your school has rules on what you can and can’t have in your room.

Moving into college changes a lot of things, like your diet or your relationships with people, but you can still celebrate your favorite holidays and not have to sacrifice anything just because you live in a dorm. October just started, so people are already thinking about what to wear for Halloween, and it’s never too early to decorate.

These four ideas will show you how to decorate for the coming “spooky season,” all dorm room rules kept in mind.

1. Fake Candles

https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Flameless-Realistic-Naturally-Flickering/dp/B00T28FWVS/ref=zg_bs_5486434011_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9D8TGRMHTYNKGK8MMBXC

Candles are perfect for putting you into the mood for Halloween. You can set them up at night and leave them on in the background while you work on homework. Because candles are a hazard when it comes to dorm rooms, they aren’t allowed. However, you can get candles with LED lights. Buy a few cheap candles that use lights to mimic flames, and you won’t even notice the difference.

2. Fake Pumpkins

I recently spotted a stack of small pumpkins, squash, and corn in Publix, and could barely resist the urge to buy them and put them all over my desk. Unfortunately, these are real foods that will eventually rot, probably before Halloween even comes. Buying fake decorations for all sorts of harvest vegetables will last you longer and spare your roommates from the smell of rotting food in your dorm.

3. Wall Decorations

Though it’s nothing like a life-sized Michael Myers, wall decorations can still spice up your room, kitchen, or living room, depending on the type of dorm that you have. Avoid damaging the walls and having to pay the college even more money on top of your tuition by just using tape. You can hang up posters with catchy phrases or garlands of smiling pumpkins.

4. Crafts

The scariest thing of all is that I live in a dorm with 7 other people, 3 in my room and 4 in the other. As much as this makes us all nearly crazy, it provides more opportunities for bonding experiences. Make a wreath with your roommates and decorate your front door for everyone to see, or make Halloween-themed snacks and drinks.

Happy spooky season!

Xia Serpenta is a freshman at USFSP and her major is English Writing Studies. She is one of USFSP's senior editors and wants to be a writer or editor after college, alongside other various jobs that she has yet to decide on. Xia's hobbies are reading fiction and poetry. She also hopes to travel outside the country and pet animals across the world.
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.