Wellness

Greenwashing – What it is and How to Spot It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

As a self-proclaimed environmentally conscious consumer, I always pick up the products plastered with labels like eco-friendly, biodegradable, zero waste or all-natural. Do they really live up to their claims though? Or are these trigger words just a way to get customers to spend a few extra bucks? Unfortunately, the answer often points to a phenomenon you might have heard before— greenwashing.  

So, what is greenwashing? Essentially, greenwashing occurs when a company or organization spends time and money marketing themselves as being sustainable, rather than taking action to minimize their environmental impact. This advertising method targets consumers who are more likely to support environmentally friendly companies, especially as sustainability is becoming an important factor in consumer buying habits. According to the Global Sustainability Study 2021 by Simon-Kucher & Partners, 85% of consumers have become “greener” in regards to their purchasing.  

So now that you know what greenwashing is, how can you spot it in stores? While the most reliable way is to do your research before your shopping trip, life can get in the way. Make sure to be on the lookout for vague terms— like green, eco-friendly or sustainable— that are essentially meaningless. If one of these terms is used, the packaging should clearly describe what the environmental benefit is. On the other hand, if the product is backed by credible environmental organizations, you can probably trust that this is a more sustainable product. For instance, if a product has USDA organic certification or is certified as vegan by PETA, this has much more meaning than claims of “all-natural ingredients” or “vegan approved.” 

Another way to quickly weed out unsustainable brands is to look at the products they offer. If they offer 5 regular shampoos, for instance, and 1 “eco-friendly” shampoo, this can often be a sign of greenwashing. On the other hand, if another brand sells exclusively environmentally conscious products, they are likely to be a more sustainable choice. And as dumb as it might sound, don’t assume that a product is sustainable just because it’s green or has leaves on the packaging. Companies tend to try to trick customers by using logos that look similar to environmental certifications, but are meaningless in reality.  

When in doubt, you can always use apps like Good on You. Simply enter the brand name and the app will tell you how sustainable the brand is, on a scale from 1-5 stars. Overall, doing your research is the best way to ensure you are making sustainable purchasing decisions, but following these tips might not hurt.  

Kelsey Sherman is the Events Coordinator of the USFSP chapter of Her Campus. She oversees the planning and execution of campus events and manages an events team. She is also a writer, with a focus on political journalism. In 2021-22, Kelsey served as the Special Events Coordinator for the Florida Scholastic Press Association, responsible for planning a conference of over 1400 student journalists. Beyond Her Campus, Kelsey works as a Student Recruiter for USF Education Abroad. She is also the Campus Council Vice Chair for Student Government and a Volunteer Committee Co-Chair for the Honors Student Council. Kelsey is currently a senior at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg, majoring in Political Science and Sustainability Studies with a minor in Urban Studies. In her free time, Kelsey enjoys hiking, hammocking, and reading. She loves to travel, and her most recent destination was Iceland.