samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Choosing a Major When You Have Too Many Interests

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Choosing a major is one of the biggest – if not the biggest – and most important decisions we college students have to make.

For some students, that choice is difficult because they struggle to find something they are truly interested in studying and having as a career. However, for other students like myself, the struggle is the opposite: narrowing down a major because we have too many things we are interested in studying and having as a career.

When you have a passion for psychology, as well as the environment, as well as art, as well as journalism, it can be tough to choose just one thing to be your major.

If you find yourself in this situation, whether you’re a freshman or a junior, the first thing is to realize that having too many interests is more of a blessing than a curse. So many academic programs nowadays are very interdisciplinary, and more and more jobs demand employees to have a variety of skills and abilities.

Here are some tips that can be useful in helping you pick your major among all your interests:

1) Identify “personal interests” vs. “career interests”

The idea of “doing what you love” as a career, although well intentioned, can be misleading. I love doing many things, such as cooking, but I do not see myself doing that as a career. Knowing the difference between what you’re interested in doing for fun, versus what you’re interested in doing as a career from 9 to 5 every weekday can help you immensely in picking a major.

2) Get involved in activities on campus that suit your diverse interests

The beauty of college is that we can be involved in many activities we enjoy, even if they are not related to our majors and future career plans. For example, I study Spanish but since I love writing, I decided to join Her Campus! Make the most of all the clubs and activities available on campus that give you a chance to do all the things you’re interested in. This can be a great way to diversify your resume to show future employers all the abilities you have.

3) Consider a double major/minors

This is probably the best option if your diverse interests contribute to the future career you dream of having. Talk to your academic advisor to help you pick a good combination of majors/minors that fit your schedule and graduation timeline, as well as your desired career goals.

4) Think about grad school

Grad school can be a great opportunity to study something that will help you get the career you want, but that you didn’t get to study when you were an undergraduate student. Many graduate programs do not require an undergraduate degree in the same field, so it’s perfect for those who want to follow a different academic path. Just be aware that grad school isn’t cheap… If you can afford the degree and it is a requirement for your dream job, then go for it! If not, you might want to consider diversifying your resume by working in the different fields you’re interested in. You’ll be exploring your passions while making money!

Remember that at the end of the day it is great that you are interested in so many things! Reach out for help if you’re uncertain of what to choose as a major, and don’t forget you can always find ways to do all the things you enjoy, even if they are not part of your chosen major.  

Resources:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/how-much-exercise-take-work-4457413

http://www.bitsofmemories.com/2014/01/my-favorite-subject-in-college.html

A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.