Becoming a Morning Person

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFSP chapter.

Mornings, you either hate them or love them.

There are two types of people in this world: Those who wake up in the morning feeling energized and refreshed and those who cringe at the mere thought of waking up before noon.

Regardless of which category you fit in, at some point you will have to wake up in the morning whether it’s for an 8 a.m. class, an internship, work or an interview. Becoming a morning person takes time. It’s not something that happens overnight. This past summer, I picked up 6 a.m. shifts every morning to help myself transition into a morning person. At first, this transition was hard, but now I have become a pro at being a morning person.

Below are some tips and tricks that have helped me become a morning person.

The Night Before:

• Set a Few Alarms. Forcing yourself to get up at a reasonable time in the morning isn’t easy. In order to make sure that you wake up with enough time to get dressed, I suggest setting at least three alarms within 10-15 minutes of each other.

• Prep Before Bed. This tip is a lifesaver because you are less likely to forget anything when you leave the house, and it gives you leeway to stay in bed a little longer. Prepping before bed consists of picking out your outfit, putting everything you need for the day in a bag, and placing it by the door.

• Limiting Caffeine and Alcohol use Prior to Bed. Drinking alcohol or caffeine before bed isn’t the best idea. When you consume either prior to bed, it can cause you to have problems falling asleep and/or staying asleep. Not to mention, the lack of sleep will cause you to feel tired and grumpy.

That Morning:

• Take a Shower. Hopping in the shower right after bed is a great way to wake up in the morning. A pro tip is to step into the shower for 30 seconds while it’s still warming up. The cold water will put your body in a state of shock that is guaranteed to wake you up.

• Coffee or Tea. Transitioning to a morning person is difficult and for some, the caffeine found in coffee and tea makes that transition a little easier. Either brewing your own or making a stop at Starbucks is a great way to wake yourself up in the morning.

• Good Playlist. I credit two things for making me an energetic morning person – coffee and a great morning playlist. When I first wake up in the morning, I go straight to Apple Music or Spotify and turn on one of my morning playlists. My morning playlists are full of upbeat songs that put me in a good mood. If you don’t have time to make a playlist of your own, try some of the premade lists on Apple Music or Spotify.

Happy Mornings,

Tamiracle

image source: www.weheartit.com

I am a graduate student at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg pursuing my Masters in Digital Journalism and Design. I have a strong photography background with expertise in writing, social media, event marketing, and graphic design. Williams can be reached by email at tamiracle@mail.usf.edu.    Life is like a Camera. You focus on what's important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don't work out you take another shot. ~ unknown
A Mass Communications Major with a passion for inspiring others.