prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
prateek katyal xv7 GlvBLFw unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Protect Yourself: Learn Media Literacy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

Now it’s no surprise to all of us that we are surrounded by the media. We use it as entertainment, a distraction, to socialize, and to stay updated. But what some may not know, is that the media influences us in ways that we may even be unaware of. Whether it’s the thousands of advertisements we are exposed to each day, or the unrealistic portrayals of people’s lives we see in TV shows and on Instagram, our cultural and social values are constantly being shaped by the media.

For some, this may not seem like a big deal, but wouldn’t you like to be confident in the fact that your beliefs belong to you and not media? To ensure that your values and beliefs will no longer be compromised by the media you can learn media literacy.

What is media literacy anyway?

Let’s break it down: Literacy is ability to read and write. Media, collectively, are the main means of mass-communication such as broadcasting, publishing and the Internet. Thus, to be media literate is to be able to process, analyze, and create media.

How do we become media literate?

Chances are, you already are media literate. Every U.S. state mandates media literacy in their educational systems. Media literacy is an engaging and an effective way to apply critical thinking skills to subjects like social studies, language arts, and maths and sciences, along with many other subjects. Often times, students have to read and interpret articles in class, a clear example of media literacy. By reading an article of any subject and applying its context, considering its possible bias, and discussing it with others to obtain different points of view, one is practicing his or her media literacy skills.

Why learn media literacy?

With media literacy skills, both youth and adults can think critically about what’s in the media and understand how media messages shape society. When it comes to advertisements, one can recognize what the marketer wants us to believe, and essentially call out the forms of persuasion advertisers are trying to use on the audience. The important thing is that media literacy gives us the ability to either reject or accept ideas presented to us on our own terms. We can protect ourselves from persuasion. On the other hand, it is also important to remember to keep an open mind when interpreting media content. Often times people only look at what already matches their current values and beliefs. We must use media literacy to help us find the balance between staying true to our own values and beliefs and having an open mind.

The sad thing is that even if you’re media literate and a pro at analyzing media, it doesn’t mean you can no longer be influenced by it. We are subconsciously influenced by what’s in the media on a daily basis. A lot of what is portrayed in the media pertains to society’s extrinsic values. With repeated exposure to ideas of consumption, materialism, self-image, and social status, we begin to value these things more and more. Media literacy can help us identify this problem and become aware of it as it occurs. However, it can not block us from these influences.

Limit your media exposure. Allow your personal experiences  to define who you are and what you believe. Use media literacy to protect yourself from being further influenced by the media than what has already been done out of your control.

Her Campus USFCA contributors are all exemplery young women at the University of San Francisco in San Francisco, California! Founded in 2020, Her Campus USFCA has grown rapidly to represent our diverse campus community through the unique expression that Her Campus allows. Here readers will find communally contributed articles as well as anonymous articles written by our chapter. We hope that you enjoy these pieces!