This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

For anyone who is scared to be called a ‘quitter,’ you have to realize that everyone quits and you will too at some point in your life. It’s not a crime to quit a job that’s preventing you from living your life. That doesn’t mean you should quit your job because you can’t get four weeks off in the summer, but maybe you should if you haven’t gotten a raise in four years. Keep on reading for the truth about quitting; when to do it, how to do it, and what to do after the deed is done.

To Quit or Not to Quit?

Deciding whether or not to quit a job, internship, or anything, is the hardest part of this whole process. Once those words are said there is no taking them back, so make sure you are 100% sure you know what you are getting yourself into, or out of.  

Reasons Why You SHOULD Quit:

1. Your job is invading your life. If you seem to be working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, QUIT!

2. You are being treated poorly (no respect, unfair pay, or worse).

3. You are looking for something new! It’s completely valid to want to do something different and take your career in a new direction.

4. A better opportunity comes along… you don’t owe anyone anything!

5. You’ve become too BOSS at your job but can’t get a raise or promotion. Work should be both challenging and rewarding.

How to Make the Graceful Escape:

Once you have decided that you want to quit you MUST think about how you are going to do it, saying “I quit” just won’t cut it in the professional world. Think about the consequences; don’t be rash that won’t get you anywhere!

Scroll on for some tips on the proper way to quit…

1. In person is best, over the phone if that can’t happen, or an email will do if you must.

2. Be CLEAR, don’t let your boss play the guessing game.

3. Please don’t get emotional, no one wants to see that.

4. Be HONEST, don’t make up some pathetic excuse. You should only be quitting if you have a valid reason anyway so keep it real.

5. Give at least two weeks notice, just do it.

6. Find an appropriate time to do it. Don’t leave in the middle of a shift or big project.

7. Be POLITE, you never know when your going to need a reference in the future.

8. Finally, show a little gratitude. They did hire you didn’t they?

What’s Next?:

Now that you quit what in the world do you do now? It can be scary figuring out what to do next, but don’t worry you got this.

And if you don’t got this, keep reading…

1. First of all, congrats! Quitting definitely isn’t the easiest thing to do.

2. Don’t stress, you’ll get another job.

3. Let go! Don’t get dragged into doing anymore work for your boss, they can find someone new, that is NOT your problem.

4. Don’t feel guilty, it happens. Hey, at least you weren’t fired!

5. Get back out there, start looking as soon as possible.

6. But also, don’t forget to bask in the glory of getting out of the last one!!!

Well there you have it, a girl’s guide to quitting. Take it as you will, after all you know yourself best. If you have learned anything from this, let it be that it’s OKAY to quit!

Her Campus USFCA contributors are all exemplery young women at the University of San Francisco in San Francisco, California! Founded in 2020, Her Campus USFCA has grown rapidly to represent our diverse campus community through the unique expression that Her Campus allows. Here readers will find communally contributed articles as well as anonymous articles written by our chapter. We hope that you enjoy these pieces!