Wellness

What I Wish Someone Told Me Before My Freshman Year of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

I went into college not knowing much about what to expect. I’ve heard all the horror stories from my parents and older relatives about all-nighters and crazy roommates, but all the advice they provided me with wasn’t enough to prepare me for the most distressing year of my teenage life.

From a friendship breakup to the passing of a few family members, to the worst hormonal acne I’ve ever had—it wasn’t long before I began to spiral into a depressive episode. To top it all off, I hated the university I was attending, and I was terribly homesick. Let’s just say, college wasn’t what I romanticized about while watching dorm room tours on YouTube. 

Woman laying in bed
Photo by Kinga Cichewicz from Unsplash

I chose to transfer institutions the next fall, to give my fun, memorable college experience another shot. It was the hardest, but best decision I’ve ever made. I’m way happier at USF (Go Bulls!), and the experiences I had in my first three months here were enough to make up for the horrible two semesters at my previous school. This is especially because I knew what mistakes not to make this time around.

So, to the college freshman reading this, or even those who are feeling like I was and want to turn their college experience around, here are the things I wish someone told me before my first year of college:

Leave Your Room

Trust me. I made the mistake of hiding in my dorm room the entire first two semesters of college. Consequently, I made absolutely no friends, and it was the loneliest time of my life. Get out of your room! Explore the campus. Do your homework in the library. Watch TV in the common area. You’ll make friends in the most unexpected places. Plus, all the walking is great exercise. Just make sure to follow all COVID-19 precautions.

Read Everything

Everything. Your assigned readings, your emails, your syllabi, the posters, and decorations your RA puts up in the hallway. Read it all. I can’t tell you how many times I walked across campus to class only to find out it’s been canceled because I didn’t check my email beforehand. Or how many times I’ve had my day brightened by a cute bulletin board my Resident Advisor took the time to make. 

Utilize Your Resources

It’s actually crazy how many resources college campuses provide to students that are not taken advantage of. Does your tuition include gym fees? Hit the gym once a week! Do you get free public transportation through the campus bus system? Save your gas money and take the bus. I guarantee your school offers other valuable things, like free tutoring, streaming service access, writing labs, mock job interviews—the list goes on. Take advantage of it all (As long as it’s COVID-19 safe!)

Take Mental Health Days

Giving yourself a break is so important. It’s hard to accept sometimes, but our health is far more important than perfect grades, or building work experience, and even partying with friends. Remember to take a day for yourself every once in a while to de-stress. Sleep in. Do some yoga. Meditate. Finish the book you’ve been reading or watch your favorite comfort movie. Future you will be grateful.

Keep in Touch With Family and Friends

Homesickness is so real. Keep in contact with your family often. I’m a junior and calls from my mom are what I look forward to most every day. Let them know how school is going, and that you miss them. Check on your hometown friends who go to other schools. They’ll be happy to hear from you. You can even plan to send each other small care packages. It’s a thoughtful way to let them know you love and miss them. This will keep your relationships strong and healthy, even while you’re far away.

This is a super unconventional time for all of us. But we all deserve to have the college experience we’ve dreamed about (and are paying for). By following these tips, and COVID-19 campus guidelines, hopefully, you can still make the best of your college experience.

Hey, I'm Nia, your local aspiring renaissance woman. I'm a fourth-year communication major at the University of South Florida. Overly passionate about storytelling, cartoons, and Beyoncé.
Hello! My name is Cassie! I am a public relations and advertising student at the University of South Florida with a minor in leadership studies. I love digital art and finding new ways to empower women via the internet!