What I Learned When I Stopped Wearing Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

I didn’t start wearing makeup until I was almost 17. I bought my first Cover Girl foundation and Wet n Wild eyebrow pencil in black (rookie mistake) and I haven’t been able to turn back since. Since then, I have stepped my product game up and learned a thing or two about how to work with what I got.

Recently I noticed that I couldn’t even step out the house without putting on some sort of makeup. I never felt insecure about my natural face, but had a problem with breakouts and scars. So, what changed in my skin care and self-awareness between never wearing make up to now?

Over spring break, I challenged myself to go without any make up for five days. During these five days, I had to work so going in without make up was a bit intimidating because beautiful girls with flawless skin surround me, or so it seems.

On my first day without make up I apologized to my friend about the crisis of breakouts on my face, as if they weren’t normal. I was uncomfortable with the way nature intended me to be. By day 3 I realized if I was going to be without makeup I had to take better care of my skin.

The skin is the outermost and biggest organ our bodies have yet, we don’t treat it with the attention and care that it needs in order to sustain its health. I first did my research based on what kind skin I have and what I feel like it needs. Although buying quality products to upkeep a thorough skin care routine can be a bit pricey for the average college student, think of it as an investment.

After almost a week without wearing makeup I became comfortable with my scars and dark spots. Although these are imperfections, they are my imperfections. There’s nothing I could do to magically make them disappear overnight. Learning to love my flaws is by no means an easy job. But, I’m stuck with myself forever whether I like it or not. As summer is quickly approaching us the glowing bare face look is going be well among us. 

Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic. 
I am a junior at the University of South Florida. I am specializing in Public Relations while pursuing certificates in Business and Visualization & Design. I hope to one day combine all of these and pursue law in the entertainment and even branch out to other passions in family law. While I am studying to achieve these dreams, I have furthered my collection of coffee cups and obsession with caffeine. I currently work as a barista and love to whip up new ideas, whether it be actual coffee creations or branding ideas. My other hobbies include enjoying short walks to the movies and my computer. This is usually to catch up on the latest and greatest shows. If it's not film, it is music. I love the thrill of listening to live music of my favorite and new bands. These inspire me to discover my individuality and brand, while challenging myself to help others find theirs.