bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

WELLNESS WEDNESDAY: USF Wellness: Superior Six

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

A big part of Wellness is being aware of the resources available that can lead you toward a positive health journey! Here at USF there are multiple departments within Wellness that offer healthy, fun, and most importantly . . . FREE services to students. Whether you are a first year student, transfer or senior, there are most likely services that you have never heard of and should begin taking advantage of as soon as possible! Seriously collegiates, USF has you covered for all of your wellness needs – both physical and mental. You can even utilize contact these resources about hosting workshops, seminars, speakers or other programs for your student organizations.

1. Wellness Education: “The mission of Wellness Education is to promote health & academic success in the USF community through collaboration to provide wellness initiatives.”  Here you can meet with a dietician, get a 5 MINUTE MASSAGE (we will SO see you there), pick up free condoms, learn about your BMI and how to really kick start your health journey. There are other exciting programs such as cooking with dieticians, produce of the month and more. Check out their calendar ASAP so you don’t miss out! Located in MSC 1504.

2. Student Health Services: A list of services available include: general medical care, women’s health, men’s health, allergy shots, nutrition counseling, physical examinations, sexual health, smoking cessation, sports medicine, travel health, pharmacy and after hours advice line center. If you’re new to campus, you should consider where you will go when you feel ill or need a specific check-up or examination, and this on campus resource, located next to the bookstore, is ideal. (Ladies, Women’s Health Services is your friend!) 

3. Center for Victim Advocacy & Violence Prevention

Located in SVC 0067, the Center for Victim Advocacy & Violence Prevention is an important resource here on campus. If you ever find yourself in a situation that makes you uncomfortable, you are empowered to reach out. The center’s Statement of Mission is, “empowering survivors of crime, violence or abuse and preventing victimization by promoting the restoration of decision making and control to survivors, by advocating for their rights and honoring their experiences, and through education and collaboration, fostering a safe university community that respects the rights and dignity of all.” You can speak to an advocate between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., and there is ALWAYS an advocate on call through university police. P.S. there are opportunities to get involved with this center if this is prevention is a passion of yours!

4. Campus Recreation

Yes, this is the gym – our favorite! The rec center is your sanctuary to relieve stress, get fit, and rock out to Britney or Beyonce on the elliptical. There is more to the rec center than cardio machines and weights! MULTIPLE classes are offered every day, so inspire your friends to wake up for that cycling class or relax at the end of the day with yoga. Campus Recreation also includes Riverfront Park, located near campus, where any student can take advantage of canoeing, kayaking, ropes course and more! The recreation center is your hub for aquatics, fitness, intramural sports, outdoor recreation, and sport clubs. You can learn about what is available and most importantly, BEST FOR YOU, at their website!

5. The Counseling Center

You will find yourself stressed this semester, and it is not your fault – it is natural. Manage your stress by being honest and realistic. Need someone to talk to? The counseling center is there – you do not need a “problem” to go there, go in and vent about your life (Come on, we all LOVE to vent). This center is located in SVC 2124 and open from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. These counselors understand the stressors of college such as relationships (among the top stressors, BTW), academic stress, career stress, family issues and more. Counseling services are free and confidential! As noted on their website, “the Counseling Center offers comprehensive psychological services designed to enhance the personal, social, educational, and career development of University students.” (http://usfweb2.usf.edu/counsel/)

6. Students Of Concern Assistance Team (SOCAT) 

SOCAT is a department that deals with students of concern referrals. This department is here to provide support and other guidance for students prior to major problems. As noted on their website, “SOCAT offers supportive intervention and guidance to any USF student who is struggling. The Case Manager is a member of SOCAT who reaches out to students to offer assistance, to help coordinate referrals to campus and community resources, and to develop an Action Plan for student success.” Also noted on their website, referrals can be made via calling the Ms. JJ Larson, Student Affairs Case Manager, at 974-6130 or through completing the electronic referral form. Remember ladies, call 9-1-1 in emergency threats!

And yes collegiates, you can learn about these on Facebook and Twitter. Access information to these resources via the Wellness USF Facebook Page and Twitter @WellnessUSF. So cheers to a healthy semester of Wellness, because we are not alone!

From Her Campus U. South Florida to Her Campus Nationals. Lover of spinning, food pics, and overall happy moments. Also a Britney Spears loyalist. You can follow Danielle's adventures on Twitter @dkushner_ and Instagram @deekush.
Justine is a recent graduate of the University of South Florida. She received her B.A. in mass communcations in spring 2014. She was the 2013-2014 Campus Correspondent for Her Campus USF.She was also a News & Feature Writing Intern for College of Arts and Sciences and the Public Relations Campus Rep for Rent the Runway at USF. She is currently seeking agency experience and would love to someday work for a magazine, become a novelist, poet, editor, host of a Travel Channel show and much more.  She enjoys writing about fashion, beauty, art, literature, pop culture and student life. She spends most days listening to Lana del Rey, calming her nerves with various types of cheese, being sassy and trying to figure out when she can take a nap.Check out her website and portfolio here.She'd love you forever, if you followed her on Twitter @tinafigs_.Contact Justine regarding business inquires only at justinefigueroa@hercampus.com.