Wellness Wednesday: Should You be Gluten Free?

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Collegiettes™, you’ve seen “gluten free” labeled on various food items. Many restaurants are adjusting their menus to accommodate those who eat gluten free. Books and websites have also been created to gear towards gluten-free diets. Questions have been raised about what gluten really is and if they should or should not be eating it. Gluten is found in wheat which is found in a lot of our baked goods such as breads, pastas, cakes and cookies.

Over the past couple of years, the talk of gluten-free diets has been trending. Should you go gluten free? Is gluten harming your body? Studies show that gluten is something that affects those with celiac disease and gluten sensitive stomachs. If food intake isn’t carefully monitored, those with celiac disease can get very sick.

Many people decide to try a gluten-free diet because of the added health benefits. Those who have changed their lifestyles and have gone gluten free have noticed significant changes in their energy levels, as well as feeling less hungry throughout the day. Weight is easier to maintain without the added wheat in your diet, which can cause bloating and overeating.

Remember though, anytime you decide to change your diet, consider consulting a doctor first. They can run tests and decide if a gluten free lifestyle is for you. A physician can give you the right information and help you adjust to the changes you may experience.  

Photo credits:

gulphealthyliving.com

www.utsandiego.com

Jessica Cipriano. Junior at the University of South Florida majoring in communications. Just a small town girl with big dreams. I am a fashionista, pinterest obsessed, and lover of makeup. I am a big foodie and love to cook. I have a passion for fashion, beauty, and pop culture. 
Lover of all things Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter and fashion. Junior. Mass Communication major. Disney Cast member. Aspiring writer.