This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Thumbnail photo: Business Insider and Paul Sancya/AP

This week began the sentencing of Larry Nassar, former physician for USA Gymnastics, who pleaded guilty to federal charges of child pornography in December 2017. As the country reels from several high-profile sex scandals, Americans are discovering that sexual harassment does not just happen in Hollywood.

Over 140 women accused Nassar of sexual abuse under the false pretense of medical care. Among these women are Simone Biles, Gabby Douglas, Aly Raisman and McKayla Maroney, all representatives of the United States at the Olympic Games.

Caption: Members of the 2012 U.S. women’s gymnastics team meeting President Obama. From left to right: Steven Gluckstein, Savannah Vinsant, Aly Raisman, Gabby Douglas, Steve Penny, USA Gymnastics President, McKayla Maroney, Kyla Ross, and Jordyn Wieber. ​

According to his plea agreement, his accusers are all allowed to give impact statements. Over 100 women have signed up to tell their stories.

“You broke and shattered a lot of girls,” Jade Capua said in her testimony. “You manipulated us to trust you because you’re a doctor, and doctors do no wrong, only heal. You are not a healer.”

Nassar ran a gymnastics clinic and club at Michigan State University in addition to his position as a team physician for USA Gymnastics, the national governing body for gymnastics in the United States. USAG is responsible for selecting and training teams for the Olympic Games. Women from both organizations have come forward with accusations.

Many of the victims have similar stories to tell, and their testimonies are difficult to read. A number of victims speak of the psychological damage Nassar caused. This includes Donna Markham, who blames Nassar for her daughter Chelsea’s suicide.

Caption: Donna Markham, the mother of Chelsea Markham, testifies against Larry Nassar in her daughter’s place. Photo: CNN.  

“It will be 10 years in March that I lost my baby,” said Markham. “She was 23 years old. And every day I miss her. Every day. And it all started with him.”

The hearing comes in the wake of the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements, which opened doors for women who are tired of being silenced. Nassar’s hearing marks the beginning of those movements’ expansion into industries outside of entertainment.

“As a nation, we need to take control,” Alexis Moore said during her testimony. “Sexual offenders need to know that they cannot continue with the crimes they are committing, and no matter how long it takes for a survivor to come forward, their crimes will be exposed.”

Moore’s point translates across all states and industries. If 2017 was the year of unearthing dirty secrets and weeding out predators, 2018 must be the year that we actively rebuild. We must work together towards true equality and a healthier society.

Caption: Kyle Stephens, the first victim to come forward, gives her testimony. Photo: ABC News and Geoff Robins via Getty Images.

Kyle Stephens was the first woman to testify against Nassar. Her statement was bold, and she foreshadowed what would come in the hearing and even America’s future. 

“Perhaps you have figured it out by now, but little girls don’t stay little forever,” said Stephens. “They grow into strong women who return to destroy your world.”

Adventurer. Musician. Feminist. Friend. Bookworm. People person. I'll graduate from USF in May, and after that the possibilities are endless!