Technology Transcending

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Millennials are criticized for posting their life away, as opposed to living it. It might be true, but society in general is becoming digitized on its own.  We just love our technology and all of the different ways to use it. 

The big question is if this is good or if it will lead to our demise? There have been many scientific studies conducted on the logistics of technology and its relationship to humans. Just as there have been many discussions and opinions on the ethics of implementing technology in our lives. 

For example, there is an ongoing debate on sharing private information. People like Mark Zuckerberg, who thrive off of technology have come to distrust its capabilities. He and many others have started the trend of covering up their computer cameras and microphones to hinder spying attempts.

Another example, is the use and advancement of virtual reality devices. It is unbelievable what this technology can do and it offers so much promise for more. But at its core, an individual is becoming desensitized to the outside environment, physically and some times mentally. 

A main fear that tends to be played out in film or television is the loss of control. This could be of the individual’s self or on reality. Netflix’s series, “Black Mirrors”, capitalizes on this basis and challenges viewers to question their role with technology, especially in the future. 

The newest season was released Oct. 21.

It was a fantastic advertisement, from a PR perspective, but seriously how creepy was that? Besides the fact that the people looked like zombies, like literally out of “The Walking Dead”, they were mindlessly consumed by technology 

The show is actually pretty good, but the concept is nevertheless freaky. It may not be the terminators coming from the future to destroy us, but it definitely makes you want to unplug and enjoy life a little more.

I am a junior at the University of South Florida. I am specializing in Public Relations while pursuing certificates in Business and Visualization & Design. I hope to one day combine all of these and pursue law in the entertainment and even branch out to other passions in family law. While I am studying to achieve these dreams, I have furthered my collection of coffee cups and obsession with caffeine. I currently work as a barista and love to whip up new ideas, whether it be actual coffee creations or branding ideas. My other hobbies include enjoying short walks to the movies and my computer. This is usually to catch up on the latest and greatest shows. If it's not film, it is music. I love the thrill of listening to live music of my favorite and new bands. These inspire me to discover my individuality and brand, while challenging myself to help others find theirs.