Selena Gomez documentary
Selena Gomez documentary
Apple +

Selena Gomez’s “My Mind & Me”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Selena Gomez’s documentary is a must watch as it provides an authentic view for an inspiring mental health journey. Here are some key takeaways from Selena’s trailer

The trailer for Selena Gomez’s documentary, My Mind & Me, has officially been released and there is not a single dry eye in the room. This documentary will display the vulnerable and heart wrenching journey that Gomez has faced over the past six years. The documentary will be premiering on Apple TV+ and will be available to stream on November 4. 

Actress, Singer, Producer, Entrepreneur, Philanthropist, and Mental Health advocate Selena Gomez has been open about her mental health journey. I strongly believe that My Mind & Me will be one the most vulnerable and heart-sobbing celebrity documentaries released.

Let’s break down some key takeaways from the trailer:

“I am grateful to be alive.”

Selena Gomez

In 2014, fans were devastated to hear that Selena Gomez was diagnosed with a disease called lupus, at the age of 22. Gomez revealed that she has had to undergo multiple rounds of chemotherapy since she was diagnosed. 

On June 11 2017, Selena Gomez posted a heartbreaking good-bye post where she thanked fans for supporting her. It was later revealed that she had to undergo a critical kidney transplant. At age 25, Gomez said that Francia Raisa gave her “the ultimate gift of life” when she donated her kidney to Gomez.

Picture of Selena Gomez for her documentary \
Apple

In a livestream with long-time friend Miley Cyrus, Gomez revealed that she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. Selena explained that she was relieved when she found out she was bipolar because she finally understood why she was feeling the way she was. 

During her iconic Revival tour, Gomez revealed that she was going to cancel the rest of her tour due to anxiety and depression. 

In 2014, it was revealed that Selena was hospitalized and seeking recovery at an Arizona mental health facility. She also stated that she experienced a mentally abusive relationship.

From battling lupus, to undergoing a kidney transplant, being diagnosed with bipolar disorder, to battling mental health issues, and facing public heartbreaks Selena Gomez is a true inspiration. Gomez is a symbolic representation of the strength that it takes to keep going even when obstacles keep getting thrown at you. The documentary showed that Selena is grateful to be alive considering all the physical health and mental health issues that she has faced in the limelight. 

“Clearly I am still here to use whatever I have to help someone else.”

Selena Gomez

The My Mind & Me trailer displays that since fighting through her tragic obstacles, Gomez believes that she has been given the gift of life so that she can help others. 

In the trailer Selena says, “Like my whole life since I was a kid I have been working and I don’t want to be super famous but I do know that if I am here I have to use that for good.”

In 2022, Gomez took her activism and passion for mental health to the White House, as she joined President Biden, First Lady Dr. Jill Biden, and US Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy. Selena has dedicated her career to following her passion while also making a commitment to spark positive change. 

In 2020, Selena introduced Rare Beauty as her vegan makeup brand. However, Rare Beauty is not an ordinary celebrity makeup brand. Gomez released the Rare Impact Fund to dedicate $100 million of the brand’s profit, over the next 10 years, to mental health accessibility in schools. Gomez created the brand to destigmatize the conversation around mental health and also allow individuals to highlight the features that make them unique.

In 2020, Selena launched a cooking show called Selena + Chef on HBO MAX to display her entertaining cooking skills. Selena introduces new chefs every episode to teach her a unique dish. To show gratitude, Gomez allows all chefs to pick a charity of their choice to receive $10,000 in donations. Since season 1, Gomez has donated $400,000 to 26 nonprofit organizations. The documentary will also highlight moments from Selena’s intimate and private trip to Kenya, which was hosted by the WE Foundation charity. Recently, Selena Gomez launched an online mental health resource platform called Wondermind. Gomez has made headlines again for displaying her empathy by publicly defending her ex’s wife for the second time. Gomez has repeatedly announced that she does not have any social media apps downloaded on her phone so all her pages are runned by her team. 

“If anybody saw what I saw, they wouldn’t have recognized her.”

After watching the documentary’s trailer, Selenators were instantly struck with an important message. The message remains that you do not know what obstacles your peers are facing so you should always treat everyone with kindness. 

The trailer showed Selena facing mental breakdowns in outfits that looked familiar. Fans quickly noticed that she was having panic attacks before and after making public appearances. These public appearances included a smiling and happy Selena however the trailer revealed that she was breaking inside. 

Hey Y'all! I am a senior at the Univ. of South Florida majoring in Political Science and minoring in Environmental Science!