Two cats
Two cats
Original photo by Megan Kelsey

Pets and Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Pet ownership comes along with many benefits— companionship, learning opportunities, and more— but did you know that owning a pet may better your mental health? In recent years, we have seen more attention being brought to how important it is to prioritize your mental health. This is especially true for college students, as it is reported that about 73% of students experience some sort of mental health crisis during their academic years. Part of the discussion of mental health in young adults and college students has been ways to improve one’s mental health as a whole.

Owning a pet may have great benefits to one’s mental health!

It’s no surprise that having an adorable furry companion may increase your mood. However, several studies have found that pet ownership “reduce[s] stress, anxiety and depression.” Having an animal around to look after and care for encourages you to take care of yourself, in return. It’s also a lot less lonely to have someone around who’s always excited to see you! It’s even been concluded that owning a pet may allow for a person to produce hormones that “reduce anxiety and lower blood pressure.”

In fact, since scientific research has been so conclusive in the fact that animals help to reduce anxiety, many universities, such as the University of South Florida, will bring rescue dogs on campus during exam week to help the students relax. It also helps the dogs to get lots of love and attention, so it’s a win-win!

While the college student benefits from the mental and even physical effects that stem from pet ownership, an animal benefits, too. Rescuing an animal while in college can be extremely rewarding, but you should wait until you are 100% ready to do so. I wrote an article in the past detailing how to prepare for owning your first pet on your own. Give a rescue a chance— they may just rescue you in return!

21. Fourth year student at the University of South Florida, majoring in Biology and pursuing a career in veterinary science. Lover of animals and hockey.