lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lucas ludwig aRk7FZie1T4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Moving On From Heartbreak

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

We’ve all been there: You meet a really nice person and you fall hard, but they end up breaking your heart. Everything seems good and you think it’s going to work out. Then out of nowhere, they ghost you or say, “It’s just not going to work out.”

Maybe the two of you dated for a while and it ends with a breakup that you didn’t see coming. At the time, it seems impossible to move on, but here are some steps to help you move on from the person who broke your heart.

Talk to your friends: Your friends know you best and know exactly what will cheer you up. You and your friends can have a date night: watch movies, go out dancing, grab drinks or dinner or anything that puts a smile on your face. Just hanging out and having a good time will help distract you and take your mind off your ex.

Friends or even siblings are always nice to talk to when you’re upset and need some cheering up. “I would talk to my sister,” said Meagan Rosati, a friend of the author. “She would put on a song that we would have no choice but to sing and dance to, and it always seemed to make things better.”

Get involved in a hobby: Getting involved in a new hobby and discovering a new talent within yourself after a breakup is a great distraction that will help you move on from the person who hurt you. Maybe you love writing but stopped when you were in a relationship, or you always wanted to try a new yoga place but never had time to go. This is your time to do things you love and learn more about yourself. When you focus on something besides the breakup, it will help you think about the person less and less. 

Put yourself out there: Sometimes it’s scary putting yourself out there, and it might just be easier not to, but you will feel better that you did in the end. You may not meet “the one” at first and go on a few bad dates, but you must go through a few bad apples before you find another person worth dating.

Don’t feel like you have to put yourself back out there right away, though. Take some time to let your heart heal and enjoy being single. This is your time to see what you want out of life. Be a little selfish and go after the things you have always wanted to do.

Moving on from someone who hurt you or dealing with a breakup is never easy. You’re hurt, angry and feel like your world is crashing down. But after you cry it out, go out there and be your awesome self.

Writer for Her Campus at USF. Mass Comm. major at USF. Dream job to work for Cosmopolitan in New York.