Life Doesn’t Always Go As Planned, and That’s Okay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Self-doubt is my biggest enemy, as it is for a lot of college students. There are so many pressures constantly being put on us and expectations we must live up to. We have to get good grades to maintain a high GPA, get involved on campus, get an internship, get a high paying job. The list seems never-ending…maybe because it is. I pride myself on staying focused in school and having a career-driven mindset that will help me reach my dream job! However, just like many people, I have those moments where I feel I am not good enough and doubt myself in everything I do. Why did I make this grade when I studied a week in advance? Why am I not getting a call back from this employer? Why am I highly involved on campus, but still feel like I must do more to be competitive?

These questions constantly cross my mind because nothing in life is a guarantee. I wish I knew if I will land my dream job, live in my dream city, and ultimately reach all my goals. But, I don’t. Since I was a child, I have had my whole life planned out, which can be a good thing and a bad thing. I know what I want and put all my time and passion towards those goals; however, if I end up not getting the result I expected, I question my abilities. It wasn’t until I was a senior in high school that I experienced what I thought was my biggest failure yet. It’s the classic story of a girl who has dreamed to go to a university all her life, got denied and ended up somewhere else. Life had another plan for me and at the time, which I did not understand. I was sad, confused and frustrated with myself.

passion lead us here
Ian Schneider
Fast forward to the present day at the University of South Florida, where I am involved on campus, have a job, and am surrounded by a great group of friends. The saying is cliché but completely true. When one door closes, another one opens. After being denied, I doubted myself, but I look at who I am now and see how much I have grown and am beyond proud of myself. This is when I realized not everything in life is going to go my way, and I just have to be satisfied with that because everything happens at the right time and for the right reasons. It is more than okay to be sad after not reaching your goal because that’s normal, but it is how you pick yourself up afterwards that makes the biggest difference.

neon sign of success statement
Ian Kim via Unsplash
When you don’t do well on that exam, don’t be upset. Change your study habits or try talking to your teacher! When the employer doesn’t give you a call back, you applaud yourself for applying in the first place. You take that experience and use that immense determination to apply to a company that you know will appreciate your skills and see you as an asset! When you start comparing your college experience to others, stop. Your college years are going to be completely different from someone else’s, and that is what makes YOU unique!

working hard sign
Emma Matthews Digital Content Production via Unsplash
Remember, life will not always go how you planned and it’s alright, because what waits for you on the other side may be better than you ever expected!

Hey there! I'm a college girl majoring in Marketing and minoring in Mass Communications! You can find me scrolling through social media, studying, listening to my Spotify playlists, and obsessing over all things Disney and Harry Styles!
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.