This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

I’ve noticed a significant link between my mental health and how busy my schedule is — but probably not in the way you’d expect. For many people, taking tasks off their plate improves their mental health by giving them time to relax. This makes perfect sense! But somehow, I am the complete opposite. The busier my schedule, the happier and more satisfied I am with life.

In high school, my parents forced me into clubs and sports, and I hated how busy I was. My schedule was a jumble of regular, dual enrollment and AP classes. I was in multiple clubs and played tennis for years. I was certainly no tennis superstar, so my main concern was maintaining perfect grades. So, junior year, I convinced my mom to let me take a year off sports and just focus on my academics.

I figured my mental health would skyrocket with less on my plate, but it only decreased. I was less physically active, and my days felt so empty. I lost my drive to do homework, go to club meetings or class — to go anywhere or do anything. I was always exhausted and bored. I had so many hobbies I could have been doing, but I just didn’t have the motivation.

This is when I realized that taking things off my schedule was not going to help me. I rejoined my tennis team senior year, joined two more clubs and ran for homecoming court (I didn’t make it, but campaigning was fun nonetheless). I was so much happier and more energetic. I realized that participating in a diverse set of activities forced me to make more time for them, rather than spending all my time fixating on class. Homework shouldn’t be my entire life!

Now that I’m in college, I’ll admit my first semester was a mess. I was in a major I hated; I had no extracurriculars and no exercise routine. I felt the same way I did junior year: constantly exhausted, no motivation and no drive to do anything except homework — like I was on autopilot.

This semester, I knew I needed to change my life around again. I switched majors, joined clubs and started going to the gym somewhat regularly. I’m working on my social media image, writing more, and looking for summer jobs/internships. I never question whether I can handle adding something else to my schedule. These activities force me to manage my time so I can hang out with my boyfriend, family, and friends. They also allow me to keep hobbies I love and have a self-care routine.

Dropping some responsibilities is sometimes exactly what people need to improve their mental health. But if that doesn’t work, try doing what I did: find things you enjoy and do as many of them as you possibly can. Push yourself to do more than you ever thought yourself capable of, and it might make all the difference.

Hi everyone! My name is Taylor Arnold, and I'm a junior at USF studying English with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in mass communication. I love painting, reading, traveling, shopping, coffee, and (of course) writing.