Formal Sorority Recruitment: The Do’s and Don’ts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Formal sorority recruitment only comes around once a year. It can be a huge part of a collegiate woman’s experience. Here are a few do’s and don’ts to help you feel confident and have the time of your life.

DO: Go in with an open mind.

Of course, girls talk – that’s to be expected, but regardless of what you may hear about the different chapters at your school, it is important to go through recruitment with an open mind so you can find your perfect fit. A chapter you might have never seen yourself in could end up being filled with your forever sisters, so you want to give every house a fair chance.

DON’T: Pretend to be someone you are not.

When walking into a room filled with dozens of smiling girls waiting to meet you, who can blame you for feeling the pressure? During recruitment it is important to be the best version of yourself, but stay true to yourself at the same time. Do not feel the need to embellish your life or be interested in things you are not really fond of. People will love you for who you are.

Photo courtesy Kendall Zierten

DO: Eat and sleep properly during recruitment week(s).

If there is one thing nearly every girl who has been through recruitment can tell you, it is how exhausting it is. Though it may not sound like it, chatting with countless different girls and putting your best face forward for hours a day can be mentally and physically draining, so treating your body right and making sure you’re well rested and fed is key.

DON’T: Talk about the 3 B’s

Your recruitment guide will most likely go over this with you, but during recruitment conversations, there are three topics you should avoid: boys, booze, and beliefs. While these are conversations you might have with your friends on a regular basis, during recruitment you will want to stay away from controversial topics and steer towards your interests, school life, career goals, etc.

Photo courtesy Erin Bryan

DO: Open up during conversation.

Conversations during recruitment can almost feel like speed dating. Moments after meeting someone new, a new girl swoops in to chat with you. Having said so, not every conversation you have will stay with you, but the deeper conversations will be meaningful. When you feel comfortable, do not be afraid to open up and bond with whoever you’re talking to. You may find that you have more in common than you think by sharing pieces of yourself that mean the most to you. 

DON’T: Overthink it.

Over the days of recruitment, you will find yourself choosing which houses suit you best and which you cannot particularly see yourself in. When the time comes, some girls know immediately where they belong, and others find themselves torn over their options.

My best advice to you is to follow your heart. Think about which house you can picture yourself making countless memories with for years to come and who shares your true values.

Photo courtesy @caroliiinerowwe via Instagram

Hi! My name is Erin and I'm majoring in PR and advertising at the University of South Florida. Lover of globe-trotting, trying every food I possibly can, and all things pop-culture.
Interests include but are not limited to: art, history, astrology, skin care, the french, politics (yikes), frank ocean, controversy and being extremely overdramatic.