This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

February 1st marked the beginning of the forty-third celebration of Black History Month. Evenvthough Black History month has been a tradition for over four decades, the concept behind the month has been acknowledged for so much longer.

In February 1926, Carter G. Woodson, a graduate of the University of Chicago, founded Negro History Week. As stated by BlackPast.org, the purpose of Negro History Week was to popularize the scientific history of black life, which would lead to a “transformation of race relations by dispelling the falsehoods about the achievements of Africans and individuals of African descent.”

Photo courtesy of Twitch

Woodson strived to achieve a nationwide observance of the celebratory week. He hoped it would inspire African Americans and others of African descent to attain greater successes. Many different areas of the United States extended the recognition of Negro History Week to a month during the 1940’s through 1960’s. As a result of the expansion of the commemorative occasion, in 1976, the Association for Study of Negro Life and History (ASNLH) utilized its significant influence to officially change the weeklong tradition of Negro History Week to the monthlong observance of Black History Month.

From then on, the continuation of Black History Month has been validated by each American President, which has permitted the national celebration to carry on into the twenty first century.

Photo courtesy of USF Office of Multicultural Affairs 

The University of South Florida (USF) has implemented a number of activities that are available to students on campus in honor of Black History Month.

According to USF.edu, with these events planned, USF hopes to “educate both members of the USF and Tampa Bay community on the importance of Black history and the significance of Black culture, and celebrate the contributions that the Black community has made to society.” USF’s 2019 Black Heritage Month theme is “Sankofa: Incorporating our Past into the Present to Make Progress for the Future.”

There are twenty-seven registered events for USF’s Black Heritage Month celebration. On February first, the Office of Multicultural Affairs hosted the Black Heritage Month Kick-Off, providing an exciting start to an activity-filled month. Beginning on February third, USF’s Black Student Union (BSU) will be holding their BSU Week, which, the USF BSU Instagram states, will “promote cultural awareness, fellowship, and political action.” On February 5th, the Center for Student Involvement’s University Lecture Series presented the extraordinary actor and producer, Winston Duke. The Office of Multicultural Affairs is scheduled to host Safe Zone: Education Part One, UndouAlly, Black Jeopardy, and the Intercultural Student Leadership Conference (ISLC), on February thirteenth, twenty-second, twenty-second, and twenty-third, respectively. There are many more key activities and events taking place throughout February, which can be found on the USF website.

My name is Eila Knaf and I am a second-year student perusing a degree in Business Advertising within the Zimmerman Advertising Program. I am a member of the Delta Kappa chapter of the Delta Gamma Fraternity. I enjoy spending time with my friends and family, playing sports, writing, and doing makeup.
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.