This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Do you have a love for creating content, building relationships, and engaging with an audience in meaningful ways while bettering the future? Well, I have the perfect career path for you (and I’m definitely not biased)! Ever since I was in elementary school, I knew I wanted to pursue a career in business. However, my ideal job switched from real estate to the dream of becoming a marketing director. Don’t get me wrong, I would love to show houses to clients all day; I am a total HGTV guru! However, I found more excitement in promoting a product or service and representing a company I am passionate about.

Randayln Hill

Here at the University of South Florida, if you’re majoring in Marketing, you will be admitted into the MUMA College of Business, alongside other majors such as Accounting, Economics, and Global Business, just to name a few. I am now a junior, but I was accepted into the business school during my freshman year, and it’s apparent they care about your future success. Almost every day, I receive emails about networking fairs, Q&A sessions, and resume workshops being hosted. Don’t get discouraged if the first time you attend one of these events you feel intimidated and overwhelmed. I will never forget the first networking fair I attended and, honestly, how scared I was, but my professionalism has grown tremendously since that point. The key is to use every opportunity as a learning experience, both the good and the bad.

You might be wondering what courses you will have to take. This varies depending on if you have credits you can transfer from high school or even another university. Some of the prerequisites I had to take were both Micro and Macroeconomics, Financial and Managerial Accounting, and Statistics I and II. Now, I’m excited to announce I am beginning to take classes specifically designed for my major: Professional Selling, International Marketing, and Marketing Management.

Photo of people at work putting their hands on top of each other
Photo by fauxels from Pexels

I have a handful of reasons for why I love majoring in Marketing, and it would take me all day to talk about it. To summarize, marketing provides a lot of jobs around the world. There are global marketing positions, you could be a manager or a director, someone could be a content designer in digital marketing, or you could even be a salesperson. The opportunities are limitless! I love being able to reach a group of people with a good or service I am beyond passionate about. Do you ever try to recommend something to your friends, like a restaurant or even a new makeup product? That’s marketing, that’s sales! Imagine working for that company and getting paid for encouraging people to support your business! The final reason I love Marketing is that it’s a relationship-focused profession where you engage with consumers, work colleagues, publics, and even your competition. It opens up a communicative, strategic environment filled with fast-paced workdays where drive, teamwork, and dedication play a critical role in the successes of the business proposition.

Hey there! I'm a college girl majoring in Marketing and minoring in Mass Communications! You can find me scrolling through social media, studying, listening to my Spotify playlists, and obsessing over all things Disney and Harry Styles!
Hello! My name is Cassie! I am a public relations and advertising student at the University of South Florida with a minor in leadership studies. I love digital art and finding new ways to empower women via the internet!