timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Battle of the Bands

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

For the third year in a row, USF’s Campus Activities Board (CAB) will be hosting a Battle of the Bands competition. This year’s finalist rock bands are No Need, Variance, The Music Box, South of Holly and Hyborn. On March 8th these bands announced as the finalists of the first round of competition by dropping off a CD of their music to be selected to perform in the event. The only requirement for this contest was that each band must include at least one USF affiliate.

Today the bands will perform at the Battle of the Bands concert where two winners will be chosen to perform at Bullstock, a yearly concert at USF with big name bands hosted by CAB. You can check out the contestants tonight at 7 p.m. in the USF MSC amphitheater.

The exciting part about tonight’s event is that not only do you get to see these bands perform live, but you also get to vote in the People’s Choice vote to choose what band will perform at Bullstock. The People’s Choice will be a text-in vote where each student can send in 1 text for their favorite band.

Another band will also be selected by the Judges Choice, which will be based on criteria in which each band will be ranked. The judges of tonight’s Battle of the Bands include:  David Williams, professor in the School of Music; one member from ANEW, the winning band from last year; and Dr. Michael Freeman, the new Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs.

“Should the same band win both sections, we will go with the second place People’s Choice band and the second winner,” senior Haley Radeka, CAB Special Events Director, said.
This is an exciting event for the participating bands, because opening for Bullstock will mean opening for big name bands; The All-American Rejects, Owl City and Hot Chelle Rae. An event you won’t want to miss. Be sure to come out tonight and vote for your favorite to see them again at Bull Stock!

I am an editorial writer for Her Campus USF!
Ashley is a Chapter Advisor and currently living in Brooklyn, New York.