Wellness > Mental Health

An Anxious Academic’s Guide to Getting Through the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

You know that saying, “Pain is temporary, GPA is forever”? When I started university, I wanted to believe that this was going to be my biggest motivator, but all it did was push me into a deep, dark spiral of academic anxiety. Gone were the weekends surrounded by friends, cheap pizza and corny movies. My life was about school now, baby, and everything about school activated crisis mode. I felt like somuch was riding on my college GPA (think: grad school acceptances and first jobs) that I couldn’t help but believe that maybe the saying was true. 

As I made my way through undergrad, and even now into my first semester of grad school, I developed some useful tips and tricks to power through academic anxiety and make it through the semester. 

Just start.

This is easier said than done, but hear me out. If you have a paper due, write a draft. If you have an exam to take, do some practice quizzes. Just get started thinking about it or doing some version of it. That way if you have any questions, you have time to address them. 

Change your scenery.

I know you’re probably wondering what a change of scenery has to do with academia, but let me tell you, getting outside or going to a new building when you’ve been stuck in one place working on assignments can be inspiring and calming. Personally, I love going outdoors when I’m feeling anxious about school. I know Florida doesn’t usually lend itself to a comfortable outdoor environment, but sometimes you just need to breathe in some of that humid Florida air to feel okay again. 

Ask for help.

A lot of people feel academic anxiety, but not many people talk about it. Asking for help from your classmates, professors, advisors, etc. can be a great way to find people who can support you and empathize with you.

Talk to people who haven’t been in your shoes.

It might seem counterproductive to talk to people who haven’t felt academic anxiety, but it’s actually one of the best things to do. In my experience, people who haven’t experienced academic anxiety are usually not caught up in the perfectionistic aspects of academia. They can offer you great advice and perspective that you sometimes can’t get when you’re feeling anxious about your grades or assignments.

Remember that a bad grade isn’t the end of the world, nor does it say anything about your overall ability.

Academic anxiety will tell you that if you fail or do poorly on this assignment, you are a failure. The truth is, a bad grade doesn’t say anything about your abilities. In a moment where you feel the academic anxiety surging in, it’s hard to remember this, but it’s true. Academia is important, but grades and GPA are not the only things that matter.

Camille is pursuing a Ph.D. in Communication at the University of South Florida in Tampa, FL. She has bylines in the Nonahood News, Her Campus, Screen Queens, and Shifter Mag. In addition, she has worked with "The Cypress Dome," and "The Florida Review." She is enthusiastic about Latina/o/x issues, fitness, writing, and reading. She is on Instagram and Twitter: @camilleeejoan
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.