This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

We’re already almost halfway through the spring semester, and you know what that means: midterms. Ugh. This semester, don’t let the stress of exams and papers get the best of you. Instead, use these five tips and take control of your midterms!

Make the Quizlet

First of all, Quizlet is such a blessing. If someone in your class makes one for your exam, study it! But trust me–making a Quizlet or flashcards for yourself will help you so much more. Something about writing or typing down the information just helps it stick in your brain–even if you’re just copying from your notes.

Start Early

Okay, I know that literally everyone will tell you this and sometimes it’s hard to do. But if you can start early, you will save yourself SO much pressure. Studying doesn’t have to be stressful–you can practice and memorize material without the time crunch.

Study Groups!

Find a nice meeting spot and a group to study with! I’m talking about coffee shops, libraries, picnics–you name it. Make it fun, and studying won’t be so boring. Plus, working with other people can be so helpful for working out things you don’t understand.

Break Down Essays
Anna Schultz-Girl On Computer With Notebooks
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

Midterm papers can seem so overwhelming, but starting early and breaking them down into smaller parts is key! First, plan a rough outline of your paper. I like to have a thesis and an idea of main topics to cover. Then, write a SUPER rough draft based on your outline just as a total stream of consciousness. Don’t even edit. After that, leave your paper alone for a few days and come back with fresh eyes to edit. This way, writing essays is much more manageable.

Take Care of Yourself!

Midterms are a stressful time, but remember that your mental health is a priority. Take the time to read a book, go for a walk, take a nap–anything that will give your mind a break and help you relax.

Good luck, everyone! You’ve got this.

Hi everyone! My name is Taylor Arnold, and I'm a junior at USF studying English with a concentration in creative writing and a minor in mass communication. I love painting, reading, traveling, shopping, coffee, and (of course) writing.