5 Things to Know Before You Join a Sorority

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USF chapter.

Contrary to the examples Hollywood has given us, Sorority life and all is not getting trashed at frat parties every weekend, showing of our Gucci handbags, and slumber parties every night. Although it occasionally feels surreal, the lavish lifestyle is not the reason why. Before you join the chapter of your choosing you have to know these things:

You will have a support system whether you like it or not

At certain points of our life, we notice that we do not know we needed are some of the things we truly are grateful for now. Bad days are inevitable, but you are lucky your sisters always have time for a good cry or cheer up session.

Photo courtesy of @usfsigdelt

It is Expensive

This is one thing Hollywood was right about. Make sure to budget and know how much you can afford. Most of the cost benefits each sororities’ philanthropy and later covers the cost of experiences they have together. It is heartbreaking to fall in love with something and then have to give it up.

Pictures, pictures and more pictures

You will find millions of ways to take pictures with your big, little, and girl gang. Creativity is your friend and there is no limit to your camera roll. These will be the pictures you cherish for a lifetime and show off to your daughter if when she decides to go Greek.

Photo courtesy of @usf_chiomega

Drama still exists

Although it is not as bad as in the movies, drama is nearly impossible to avoid with a diverse group of one hundred something girls. There will be disagreements, there might even be some grudges, but at the end of the day you all understand that your love for each other and your chapter is more important than whatever was fought about.

Growth and accountability

Being in an organization is not based solely on the relationships you make but on what you are able to learn. Among a group so big, you discover opportunities you never would have had and the drive to do whatever it is you imagine. You are accountable for your actions and how you wear your letters, which in the long run will make you a stronger and more dedicated boss babe.

You will smile a lot

You will smile not only for pictures, but at the endearing letters you are written, cuddle sessions given, and the hilarious memories you make. You will find yourself sitting in bed thinking about your sisters and how lucky you are, and then BAM. Cheek to cheek, showing teeth, the smile is there again.

Photo courtesy of @usfpanhellenic

An Integrated PR and Advertising major trying to find my voice in this wild world. On my way to being a boss lady in the social media relations world. I am a sucker for growth and am always looking for new experiences and perspectives! I am thrilled to be involved with my HerCampus chapter and can't wait to see the new experiences it gives me!
Hey! My name is Leticia and I am the Campus Correspondents here at USF. I am graduating in MAY (omg) with a degree in Advertising and PR. I am originally from Brazil, needless to say, I LOVE the beach and being outside! I enjoy everything from make-up to fitness and sports. In my free time you can find me thrifting, playing photographer, or at home with my hubby binging Netflix.