9 Ways to Volunteer on the Sunshine Coast

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USC (AU) chapter.

Ever wanted to do something on your holidays that didn’t involve just sitting around, doing nothing? Maybe you want to do something interesting or build your portfolio of work? Try volunteering!

The girls at HC USC(AU) have come up with 10 different ways to volunteer while still having fun! The best site to head to is Volunteering Sunshine Coast. Check it out for all sorts of opportunities!

Check out…

1.  Events

You could help co-ordinate an event, be part of a sausage sizzle team or help fundraise! Try your hand at coordinating events for schools and education facilities, only five hours once a Thursday every month! Click here for details. Wana help fundraise for Guide Dogs Australia? Check it out here

2. Animals

Volunteer in an aviary with all kinds of gorgeous birds, volunteer at Australia Zoo and work with Bindi Irwin! Or be a Project Volunteer with Pets For Life!

3. Environment 

Be a conservation volunteer in beautiful Maleny, only 20 minutes from uni! Be apart of the monthly beach clean-up with Surfrider Foundation Sunshine Coast or volunteer for World Environment Day in Nambour!

4. Arts

Volunteering projects which in the arts area is always few and far between, however if this is your passion, Volunteering Sunshine Coast has two available. One is a craft/painting assistant – they’re looking for a few! Or try for the General Assistant in Waroona Gardens. Click here for more info.

5. Retail

Be an op-shop coordinator or retail assistant with the Kidney Support Network, Lifeline or the Cancer Help Centre! You could also try Sunshine Coast Community Hospice or volunteer as a retrial assistant for Endeavour Foundation at only three hours a week.

6. Youth/Students

Volunteer at the Noosa Regional Gallery, assist students with a disability with Burnside High P&C Association, be a scout leader with Charles S Snow Scout District or volunteer for Buddies Day as Leader at Saint Vincent De Paul Society Queensland.

7. Committee

Why not apply to be Vice President at the Sushine Coast Jazz Club, fundraise for Meals on Wheels in Maroochydore or get on as a board member for Sunshine Coast Children’s Therapy Centre.

8. Hospital

There’s not too many volunteer positions with hospitals but have a look here to see if any of these suit you! Positions in hospitals generally ask you to have certain qualifications, so make sure you read up on everything.

9. Admin

Volunteer at the Centre for Peace, at the Noosa Museum or even The Salvation Army as an administration assistant, receptionist, or general office jobs.

Thinking about a change of scenery? Try Volunteering Gold Coast.

Happy Helping!

HCXO

Jasmin Maastricht is a third year Journalism student at USC, the Founder and Editor-in-Chief of the Her Campus chapter at USC, as well as being one of the 2013 USC Student Mentor's, freelancing for online publication WeekendNotes and interning for Australia's number one online fashion store, Fashionfile. Her passion is Journalism but besides that, Jasmin has always had a strong interest in fashion and entertainment, completing six weeks of work experience with Noosa 101.3fm Community Radio Station and has had the amazing opportunity of working with Australia's number one teenage lifestyle magazines, DOLLY in April 2011 and again in April 2013 and Girlfriend in February, 2013. She has also scored herself internships with the Sunshine Coast's local newspaper, the Sunshine Coast Daily and with Caboolture News. She has been working with both papers eight months now. She has previously worked with Darby Radcliff with the Her Campus Ole Miss chapter while on exchange in Mississippi as well as working with the M s Observer magazine and has never looked back. Email Jasmin at jasminmaastricht@hercampus.com for any questions or getting involved at Her Campus USC or contact her via social media. HCXO!